Grabing stills

• Premium Member

The simplest method I have found is VLC Player. It’s multi-platform and doesn’t require multiple steps to output jpegs like Resolve. Just pause and hit the shortcut keys. 

You can also assign a destination folder and automate the naming convention for the files, which I find useful for organizing frame grabs by project.

With Resolve, I find that I have to save a grade to my library, right click to export still, select jpeg and destination (by default it is set to DPX), and then manually delete the grade file and rename the still in Finder. Maybe there is a faster way that I’m not aware of? I only do this if I have to show different versions of a grade or Log vs Graded versions of the same frame. 

• Like 1

Don't know about VLC. I use a Movavi screen recorder. It shoots video and stills. I used it for both of these projects.

Bob Pace In The Darkroom D.D.Teoli Jr. A.C. : D.D.Teoli Jr. A.C. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Borrah Minevitch's Harmonica School Screenshots : D.D.Teoli Jr. A.C. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Recently finished up a big screen photo shoot. 2600+ screen shot photos. But it was all stills to stills. The above 2 projects were both off of VHS tape.

See if any of these are good to use.

7 Best HD Screen Recorders You Have To Try In 2021

I'm always looking to upgrade. I looked into a hi res screen recorder, but it was a few hundred dollars and I was tight on $$ at the time. I lost track of the details as to its name.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.