How do you adjust magnification on top end scanners?

• Premium Member

There are a few ways, one of which is a variable extension tube that can move the lens closer and further from the film. Another is to move the entire camera closer and further. I'm not sure if anyone uses "fixed" extension tubes, but maybe. 

• Like 1

• Site Sponsor

Some machines have fixed lenses for each gauge of film and fixed image area settings, Arriscan and DFT Spirit and Scannity are like this.

Newer scanners have moveable lens and camera positions, Scan Station Kinetta Xena etc.

The moveable lens-camera systems use specific high end lenses which work well for a range of magnification.

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2021 at 2:57 PM, Tyler Purcell said:

There are a few ways, one of which is a variable extension tube that can move the lens closer and further from the film. Another is to move the entire camera closer and further. I'm not sure if anyone uses "fixed" extension tubes, but maybe. 

Retroscan uses extension tubes and thickness washers.  It is a pain. But Retroscan is relatively inexpensive, so goes with the territory and can't complain much. It uses 'C' mount lenses. I will have to see if they make a variable extension tube for it.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

Retroscan uses extension tubes and thickness washers.  It is a pain. But Retroscan is relatively inexpensive, so goes with the territory and can't complain much. It uses 'C' mount lenses. I will have to see if they make a variable extension tube for it.

Retroscan doesn't have a fixed gate. I discount it from even existing due to that aspect alone.