How To Operate Cinema Camera, Gimbal, & Pulling Focus?

I just purchased a Blackmagic 6K Pro Cinema Camera.  I am a single person camera operator.  With my prior camera system I was able to easily operate the camera and gimbal and the camera was auto focus. So, camera focus during movement was easily handled by the auto focus.  But, the 6K Pro camera does not have auto focus.

I would like to operate the 6K Pro with a gimbal, but since auto focus is not an option I am wondering how does one operate a camera and gimbal and pull focus all at the same time?

I have been considering a DJI RS2 gimbal.  It was suggested that the DJI Ronin 3D Focus system could possibly help supply auto focus.  However, when I contacted B&H where I purchased the 6K Pro they informed me that the Ronin 3D system would not work with the 6K Pro to provide auto focus.  In fact, they said that it was simply not possible to create auto focus for the 6K Pro.  They said that the best that could be done would be to use the DJI RS 2 Gimbal Pro Combo which would help with the focus pulling - but still not provide auto focus.

So, now I'm back to my original question, how does one operate a cinema camera on a gimbal and also pull focus?  It's difficult to imagine how one would be able to pull focus while the camera was moving - all at the same time.  Is it possible, and if so, how can it be done?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

You don't, at least not to high-end feature film standards. These tasks are separate for a reason.

Ideally you strap on a cinema lens and lens control motor and you have someone pull focus for you, which you could conceivably organise if the gimbal will stand the weight. On a big show they'd have remote pan and tilt so that all you needed to do would be to carry the thing along the proper path while someone else operated.

In practice, what you do is to plan shots you can do without these things.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my girlfriend is a DP and shoots on all my or should I say our projects. We've got a similar setup but a Pocket 4K and a Moza Air 2 and she's able to operate the gimbal and pull focus efficiently at the same time. But she's had a lot of practice and yes sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it done well. 

She's worked with a focus puller before and said it was OK since she was focusing on framing the whole time and movement but still she says she prefers the control of pulling focus herself. So it can definitely be done.

But I think one of the key things is to keep it in mind even when doing blocking or constructing shots. 

By the way how's the 6K Pro working out with the ND's and screen. This is the main two things we miss on the P4K.

Thanks for replies.  A common theme I've been seeing regarding this is that one needs to plan shots well especially if one is on a gimbal with no auto focus.

Regarding how the 6K Pro is working out.  The truth of the matter is that I haven't used it yet.  Other projects have been dominating my time.  I'm excited about using it and when I do I will report back.

Thanks again!