RCA Capacitance Electronic Disc (CED)...anyone ever see one played?

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• Premium Member

Yea I had one for a bit, they were complete garbage. They use a stylus just like records do. That whole thing gets dirty and you get noise in the image like pops and clicks on records. It's a very poor format, I'm still shocked it lasted as long as it did. VHD was a far better format, but sadly it, like Video 2000 was only available in Europe. I think had they pushed it state side, it may have done better than Laserdisc due to its lower cost machines and disc manufacturing process. 

I got into LD in 1993 and kept using it until around 2006. It was in my home theater rack until I got out of home theater entirely recently and into stereo equipment. Both of my LD players are wrapped up in their original boxes in my garage. I sold around 80% of my discs recently, gonna keep a few of my favorite ones that are unique and maybe someday hook it all back up again, who knows. I'll say this much, a good DVD and a decent DVD player blows the doors off LD. It was a great format for the VHS days, but with DVD it was all over. Now I'm rapidly collecting UHD BluRay's just to have them because I feel they're not making enough to keep up with the demands. I think eventually UHD BluRay will become super rare and people will yearn for them when its hard to find titles on streaming services. 

I would laugh so hard if Laserdisc has a comeback just because it's too expensive to buy BluRay and UHD disc's. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell
  • Like 1