The old films are fascinating beyond words...2 childbirth films from the 1940's

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

I can't get enough of them and never know what I will find. Everyday is like Christmas.  Recently I acquired some 16mm childbirth films from the 1940's. They were labeled 'baby being born.' They turned out to be a bonanaza. The views of 75 year old surgical rooms and dress is fascinitning in itslef, but there is so much more. The anesthesiologist continually drips ether out of a bottle on a dust mask for knocking the gal out.  Another clip has the assistant pushing the baby back in the vagina as it tries to come out. 

Intertitle says something like: Retarded birth to allow for episiotomy.

Maybe they wanted more $$ for the episiotomy? Although in 1940's I don't think healthcare was run as a big biz as it is nowadays. Most likely the baby's head was too big for the mommy's birth canal and it was not greed. 

I have a bunch more in the childbirth series, all sort of things, different types of Caesareans, twins birth, breech birth, etc.  They were part of the 50+ films I scanned over the last couple weeks. Still need to PP'em, but I put 2 from the childbirth series up at the I.A. for your perusal. 

nsfw

If the Retroscan blows up or gets stolen, I got my money out of it anyway. 50 films = about $8,000 for scanning fees. Now I just need to get the other 1050 films scanned! But I'm not in a rush. Still holding out hope for a benefactor to buy me a cheap Lasergraphics scanner. So, I'm in no hurry to scan all the films twice. And due to no room to work, I had to stow the Retroscan to make room for the copy stand work that I am doing now. And that Retroscan is tiny, so you know I'm cramped.

A Japanese / American guy I met, that took a trip to Tokyo, told me they don't go by square feet in Tokyo... they go by square inches! That sounds like me. I'm always looking to find some more square inches! My dream house would be a house with 40 or 50 chrome wire shelving units lining the walls.

Getting back to that retarded birth...

I may make a 'Retarded birth to allow for episiotomy' production company with the clip of the baby being pushed back in the vag . That would be crazy huh! 

I love adding some craziness to the films, certain films that is. The more business like films and films that require more respect get more conservative production companies. But it is fun 'having fun' with the films. And when you are underground you can do as you please. 

I came up with crazy production company names after seeing so many stupid production company names on films where they were trying their best to not be stupid. I thought to myself, "Jeeesus, couldn't they find a better name than that?" So I figured, let me have some fun with it. 
Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.