Jump to content

2374, 2378, ST8 optical stocks


Recommended Posts

Hi,

I shot some Eastman 2374. I thought my stock was old enough that there wouldn't be edge numbers down the middle of the frame, but I was wrong. I also have some 2378. Does anyone know if Kodak did the same with the 2378? I guess I can pull a strip and process it but though I would ask.

Thirty years ago a shot a few thousand feet of Agfa ST8 in 16. Loved it. Anyone know if that can be found in 35mm anywhere?

I am working on a project and would like to shoot some fine grain, high con stocks.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Roy in Montreal

Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Sustaining Member

Filmotec makes some ORWO sound stocks,  but I have no idea what edge printing they have.  the printing down the middle was needed for the SDDS system as it used the rebate area to hold data. 

I might be tempted to contact the factory in Germany to see what they are doing:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contact

Our enthusiastic and experienced team is always ready to help you with expertise and understanding for all your special needs. You can reach us by telephone from Monday to Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. GMT at the following numbers:

Managing Director: Jake Seal

Phone: +49 (0) 3494 36 96 80
Fax: +49 (0) 3494 36 96 82
e-mail: filmotec@filmotec.de

Marketing and Sales Manager:

Retirement_Boehme_210531

Opening and delivery times:
Monday – Friday 07:00 – 15:00

Global Sales: Terry Bird
email: terry@orwo.studio

address:

FilmoTec GmbH
Ortsteil Wolfen
Röntgenstraße 3
D-06766 Bitterfeld-Wolfen
Germany

http://www.filmotec.de
http://www.filmotec.com

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you, Charles.

I considered Orwo, but I can't get anyone to return my calls or emails at the North American coordinates. I spoke to Niagara and they confirmed that communication with Orwo is spotty.

Thank you for the lesson in edge printing. I thought it was just a spiteful action on Kodak's part to dissuade people from using it as camera stock. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Sustaining Member
Posted (edited)

Roy,

Try contacting Colorlab in Rockville, MD.  They sell Orwo camera original stocks in their store, but might be able to get the TF12d Sound stock stock for you. 

In my experience, there is only minimal edge numbering on the stock and none down the center...

http://colorlab.com/ourstore-film.html

ORWO TF12d:

http://www.filmotec.de/?cat=29&lang=en&lang=en

Data sheet:

http://www.filmotec.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/V-I-TI-TF12d-e.pdf

Be forewarned that TF12d is panchromatic and must be processed in total darkness.

 

Edited by Frank Wylie
added info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have shot some ST9 in 35mm and liked the results. Purchased a 2000ft roll couple of years ago from the lab I use. they probably have it in stock, you can ask https://www.postproduction.be/ 

I have had great communication with the ORWO factory and purchased directly from them stocks like 16mm 2R  N75 stock. Have you tried to email from another email address if it is a spam filter issue etc?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super, Aapo!

I  think I have seen that ST9 link. There is a watermark in the bottom right corner.  I suspect that is Agfas method of discouraging people from shooting.  I think I recognize the Morse tank process on that footage, the pumping in the highlights.

I'll try Frank's suggestion as well for the ORWO TF12d.

The great thing about the 2374 was I  could rate it at 80 ASA and shoot easily outside with it. The ST9 is most likely rated at 6 or 8 ASA.

 

Any guess on what the ASA might fall  at with ORWO TF12d ?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Frank Wylie said:

Roy,

Try contacting Colorlab in Rockville, MD.  They sell Orwo camera original stocks in their store, but might be able to get the TF12d Sound stock stock for you. 

In my experience, there is only minimal edge numbering on the stock and none down the center...

http://colorlab.com/ourstore-film.html

ORWO TF12d:

http://www.filmotec.de/?cat=29&lang=en&lang=en

Data sheet:

http://www.filmotec.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/V-I-TI-TF12d-e.pdf

Be forewarned that TF12d is panchromatic and must be processed in total darkness.

 

Thanks! I emailed them this afternoon!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Roy Cross said:

Super, Aapo!

I  think I have seen that ST9 link. There is a watermark in the bottom right corner.  I suspect that is Agfas method of discouraging people from shooting.  I think I recognize the Morse tank process on that footage, the pumping in the highlights.

 

Heh, the watermark is my method of preventing youtubers from "borrowing" my footage for their compilations. The original negative is completely clean of any markings on the picture area but the morse tank highlight pumping is evident in my example as you noticed and the scanning place managed to enhance the effect somehow with their scanner settings

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Sustaining Member
14 hours ago, Roy Cross said:

Any guess on what the ASA might fall  at with ORWO TF12d ?

 

Not really, but being a lab stock, it will be really low;  probably no more than the ST9...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, aapo lettinen said:

Heh, the watermark is my method of preventing youtubers from "borrowing" my footage for their compilations. The original negative is completely clean of any markings on the picture area but the morse tank highlight pumping is evident in my example as you noticed and the scanning place managed to enhance the effect somehow with their scanner settings

Ah, good to know! Clever! What ASA did you rate that ST9 at for shooting?

Scanning and timing is a real art form. Given the ridiculous possibilities of digital imaging tools, there must be a setting that can help reduce that highlight pumping. I have tried many things in the processing and exposure to help avoid it without much luck.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Roy

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I rated the st9 about 12 iso which worked pretty well. One needs to work with the lab to get the developing optimized but normal b/w developers work with it. I used self made metol-vitaminC developer for most of my tests

Edited by aapo lettinen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, aapo lettinen said:

I rated the st9 about 12 iso which worked pretty well. One needs to work with the lab to get the developing optimized but normal b/w developers work with it. I used self made metol-vitaminC developer for most of my tests

Super! I was planning to use a caffenol recipe.  Thank you so much for your input and suggestions! Really helps.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The lab I contacted about ORWO TF12d noted that Orwo is notoriously slow to deliver or respond. It could take months, they said, to get an order.

The lab known to have used ST9 in the past no longer uses it.

I am now seeking an ST9 supplier. If anyone has a suggestion, I am all ears!

Many thanks!

Roy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

Forum Sponsors

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Film Gears

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Serious Gear

VidGear.com - Broadcast Video Warehouse

FJS International

CineLab

Cinematography Books and Gear

TripdsVideo CamerasLightingVideo Camera LensesMonitors

ADVERTISING INFO


×
×
  • Create New...