S35 Zeiss B-Speeds work on full-frame Sony a7S III

There are two sets of PL converted S35 Zeiss B-Speed (Super Speed Mk I) prime lenses housed in Chicago, that I know of. Both are owned by Stephen Wester, owner of Atlas Lighting G&E rentals, DP, & Gaffer. The image circles of the 25, 35, 50, & 85mm T1.4 lenses cover my full frame Sony a7S III sensor with a Metabones adapter. The 18mm does not cover and a 1.2x crop is needed, however the Standard Speed 135mm T2.1 does. Wonder how it would work on other large format cameras such as the LF, C500II, C700, FX6, FX9, or Venice.

https://www.atlaslightingchicago.com/

Edited by Brandon Hinsley

Unless the Metabones adapter has some sort of extender optics incorporated (which I don't think it does)  I can't see how most of those lenses would cover a full frame sensor. From my measurements, Zeiss Super Speeds under 85mm won't cover the 43mm diagonal required for the Sony A7Siii's nearly full frame sensor, unless you're using a cropped mode or a reduced aspect ratio.

The 35mm Super Speed for example only covers about a 37mm diagonal, the 25mm even less. My records are from Mk II and III Super Speeds, but I don't think the B speeds have a larger image circle, they are essentially the same glass. Any of the longer focal length Zeiss Standard Speeds will cover a full frame no problem.

Whether those lenses cover any of the other cameras you list depends on the recording format, only the 85mm and 135mm would cover an LF in Open Gate 4.5K 3:2 mode where you need a diagonal of nearly 45mm for example, whereas all but the 18mm would cover 3.8K 16:9 which only needs about a 36mm diagonal.