Digital camera as director's finder?

Luke Prendergast

• Premium Member

I ditched my dinky micro director's finder with the idea of replacing it with a Pentax OptioMX digital camera, which I never got around to buying. I'm looking now at the JVC GZ-MC200E. It can record 8.5Mbps video at 720x480 and takes 1600x1200 stills. 10x optical zoom. Does audio too. Storage is a Microdrive.

The idea is to use it on location scouts for stills and video and audio notes, and on set as a director's finder. It's minus any calibration and markings out of the box but that won't take much figuring. Has anyone here used a mini digital camera as a finder? Any words of wisdom?

363073.jpg

• Premium Member

Hey,

It should be useful. Working out the framing and lens length matches might be a problem. It could also help with continuity. I wouldn't depend on it exclusively for exposure unitl you have an idea of how close it's exposure latitude matches your main cam.

P+S Technik (Spelling?) has a Digital Directors finder that you stick on the end of any consumer Digital Video Camera, and it allows you to attached 35mm film lenses (Its similare to a Mini35 for consumer cameras), this way you can get acurate focal lengths without conversions, among other things.

• Premium Member
I ditched my dinky micro director's finder with the idea of replacing it with a Pentax OptioMX digital camera, which I never got around to buying. I'm looking now at the JVC GZ-MC200E. It can record 8.5Mbps video at 720x480 and takes 1600x1200 stills. 10x optical zoom. Does audio too. Storage is a Microdrive.

The idea is to use it on location scouts for stills and video and audio notes, and on set as a director's finder. It's minus any calibration and markings out of the box but that won't take much figuring. Has anyone here used a mini digital camera as a finder? Any words of wisdom?

363073.jpg

Hi,

I use a Nikon D70, its image sensor is very close to S35. For lens focal length selection its spot on.

Stephen