NOT LABELING EDITED PHOTOS IS NOW ILLEGAL IN NORWAY

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

https://www.diyphotography.net/not-labeling-edited-photos-is-now-illegal-in-norway/?

Norway has introduced a new law aimed to tackle unrealistic and potentially dangerous beauty standards. From now on, any social media post made for promotional purposes has to clearly state if the photos or videos in it were altered. Those who don’t do it will be fined or even end up in jail.

About 99.9% of my stuff is post processed and cropped. But not for beauty. You can't shoot photos like this without lots of post work and get these results. And maybe I should say 'without a tremendous amount of post work' for some of them.

selection-from-americans-60-years-after-

Staten Island Ferry - Candid

Selection from The American's...60 years after Frank project.

ProstituteAmsterdam382014DanielD.TeoliJr

Selection from De Wallen: Amsterdam's Red Light District - Candid

53-dscf4122-v42-6-5-x-6-75-mr.jpg

ProstituteAmsterdam42-2014DanielD.TeoliJ

Even landscapes need PP...

Circular_fisheye_view_of_Oude_Kerk_Amste

Selection from De Wallen: Amsterdam's Red Light District 

To shoot my De Wallen project everything had to be pushed a few stops and extensive contrast grading.

33-de-wallen-copyright-2014-daniel-d-teo

All the Amsterdam night shots are candid and shot in a place where photography is banned. You can get your ass kicked if caught. When I say I do highest level candid photography this is it...I'm not bullshiting or bragging. 

TranswomanFriend2015DanielD.TeoliJr.Mr.j

Transwoman and Friend - Infrared Flash Candid

Infrared flash looks nothing like this raw.  Selection from The American's...60 years after Frank project.

st-patricks-cathedral-nyc-2016-daniel-d-

St Patrick's Cathedral - Candid

Selection from The American's...60 years after Frank project.

little-dicky-lucky-chops-2016-daniel-d-teoli-jr-m.jpg

Little Dickey

I spent hours on this for post work. - Selection from The American's...60 years after Frank project.

Living%20in%20a%20cardboard%20box%20IR%2

Living in a Carboard Box

Infrared Flash Candid - Selection from The American's...60 years after Frank project. This was especially hard to PP. the bright white board was a foot from the infrared flash. The lady was about 6 feet inside the dark box. The raw photo looked nothing like this. And tons of lens flare from the flash reflecting off the white board. 

They had a knucklehead on one of the photo forums that was discussing whether to crop or not crop a photo. The knucklehead said..."If a photo had to be cropped it was not meant to be taken." You will find the same opinions as to post processing. If you are doing documentary work, then the post work should not make a material difference as to the honesty of the photo...as long as you are presenting it as a factual reality. When it comes to art, you can do as you like. No photo police to boss us around...except in Norway. If it is crime scene photos, nothing material should be touched. Just contrast grading. 

Here is the Hierarchy of Documentary Photography*

1. Candid events unfolding as they happen.

2. If it cannot be perfected or obtained as a candid, then the photo must be posed.

3. If it cannot be perfected or obtained as a posed photo, then it must be staged with the proviso it is a recreation of past events, preferably with the actual persons reenacting the events.

4. Figments of the imagination. Varies in documentary value.  Can be based on pure speculation or a recount of events.

*Created by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

It really depends how they've worded it.

I have no special objection to it in certain situations.

If they've worded it too broadly, then it'll have two effects. The first effect is that it'll become ludicrously onerous since it's penalising people doing utterly innocuous things in a way that clearly doesn't represent the intent of the people who wrote the law. The second effect is that everyone will end up just automatically putting the this-was-altered icon on absolutely everything as a defence against the law, so the thing won't end up having the effect they were going for in the first place.

• Premium Member

Where's the source for this information, Daniel? A photography blogger that got his information from an instagram post? 

This isn't facebook where you can just spread any old bullshit. And even from the dubious source you provided, it appears this "law" doesn't apply to anyone other than influencers or companies who are posting altered pictures for advertising or promotional purposes. It's about manipulating faces and waistlines to create false beauty standards, not art photographers doing post grading. And unless you plan to move to Norway it doesn't affect you in the slightest. 

I really like your photography, but you don't need to manufacture tabloid-style posts in ALLCAPS warning us about the loss of your freedoms (in Norway), based on a misreading of some social media post. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I don't know if diyphotography is fake news, but your interpretation sure is. 

Here's a reputable news source, that actually links to the proposed legislation:

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/561228-new-norway-law-mandates-social-media-influencers-disclose-photo-editing

"Any photo where "a body's shape, size or skin has been changed by retouching or other manipulation" must be marked as edited, the legislation declares. In addition to advertisers, the law also stipulates that celebrities and social media influencers must label altered images if they are paid or benefit in some way from the post."

Nothing about locking up street photographers for cropping their photos, or beating down your door if you adjust the contrast. In fact, all the proposed law requires is for people to just disclose if they manipulated their image, or if they are getting paid to promote something. Nothing is being banned, it's just about transparency.  In Norway. 

• Like 2