Always be easy to contact...if you want a job

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

I was driving by an art center in WV and stopped by their show. They had a watercolor exhibit going on. One gal had some nice work and I was going to congratulate her for winning best in show.

This was her entry...

http://www.wvwatercolorsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/AQU21_StineP_Gotcha.jpg

But you can't find her. She has work all over the net, but no easy online contact.

If you want work, don't be like her. I've told you this before, Google yourself and see what pops up. And do it in the regular search, image search and video search options.

They had a kid on Reddit submit an outstanding 1 minute reel. But no easy way to contact him in the reel. Spell it out!

And getting back to art shows...always expose yourself to all forms of art, theatre, music, etc. You never know what will set you in motion on a new direction with your work. I'm not big on watercolors, but what the heck, the show sponsored this post.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Upvote 1

You got a middle initial Phil? Try using that.

Spell out out Phillip and use the middle initial, see if that helps. Of course it wont be like magic. If it works better then you start from scratch with that name online.

I dealt with comix artist John Howard. His name is the same as the former Prime Minister of Australia. So he was hard to find as well. Maybe a middle initial would have helped him out too.

One of the many odd counter productive practices of the business is appearing unreachable and above "for hire" contact.   The most often used tactic is to only include an agency's company contact email on your website or sm.  This leaves anyone wanting to reach out to you no choice but to follow up with your agency.  Not even the agent necessarily, just the agency.  If you're worthy, you'll get the actual agent's contact info.

It's a filter to keep away crazy people and "dreamers".  But unfortunately, it also keeps away realistic collaborators with funded projects.  Because even with a very legit casting director and a 2M budget, getting agents to forward your script is difficult.

Edited by Michael LaVoie

On 7/20/2021 at 8:58 PM, Michael LaVoie said:

One of the many odd counter productive practices of the business is appearing unreachable and above "for hire" contact.   The most often used tactic is to only include an agency's company contact email on your website or sm.  This leaves anyone wanting to reach out to you no choice but to follow up with your agency.  Not even the agent necessarily, just the agency.  If you're worthy, you'll get the actual agent's contact info.

It's a filter to keep away crazy people and "dreamers".  But unfortunately, it also keeps away realistic collaborators with funded projects.  Because even with a very legit casting director and a 2M budget, getting agents to forward your script is difficult.

Yes, you are right. But that is for the big boys & girls! The grunts don't usually get agents till they have arrived...somewhat.

It is the same for photographers with gallery reps.

Now Phil, when you add cinematography to your name you get the following...

phil rhodes cinematography - Google Search

and change it to cinematographer and you get this...

phil rhodes cinematographer - Google Search

Names in searches mean a lot. Even a little change can make a big difference. Anyone having an issue with showing up on Google needs to look at their name and distinguish it if it is not working for you. I got a middle initial and 'Jr.' to help me out.

And I've talked about this before....naming digital files. Lots of people putting things online use some gibberish for the file. Use your name and info. It helps with search results.

Here is an example...

daniel d. Teoli Jr. small gauge film archive - Google Search

video

daniel d. Teoli Jr. small gauge film archive - Google Search

Here is an old post on it...strong NSFW

The Importance of Naming Digital Files. – Daniel D. Teoli Jr. (wordpress.com)