Kodak Vision2 50D?

John, I imagine that the contrast and saturation features of the Vision 2 stocks will be consistent with this new 50D stock, but what sort of distinction will we see in terms of sharpness and grain structure, in comparison with 7245? Will the new Vision 2 50D replace 7212 as the "sharpest" available stock?

• Premium Member
John, I imagine that the contrast and saturation features of the Vision 2 stocks will be consistent with this new 50D stock, but what sort of distinction will we see in terms of sharpness and grain structure, in comparison with 7245?  Will the new Vision 2 50D replace 7212 as the "sharpest" available stock?

I haven't seen the data myself, but I've heard that 7201 actually improves upon 7245 for BOTH grain and sharpness! Those who have seen the demos say the grain improvement is significant (and 7245 was the finest grain motion picture film available). B)

Data will be published when the film is "officially" released.

I have heard that Vision 2 50D, along with the Vision 2 line in general has reduced contrast. Is the reasoning behind it to make it better for scanning, DI, and telecine, or something else completely? I like the "snappy" look of EXR 50D, which to me seemed slightly reminiscent of Kodachrome and technicolor, and although I'm sure that Vision 2 will have marked improvements in grain, a good thing, I hope that the contrast isn't compromised for those who still finish on film.

Regards.

~Karl Borowski

Where is this article posted?

The company is also previewing images recorded with the new KODAK VISION2 50D

5201/7201 color negative film, which is scheduled to be available in all

formats in October. Mayson says the new negative is designed to give

cinematographers more creative latitude while filming high-contrast exterior

scenes in bright daylight as well as shots in mixed color temperatures. The

film is also optimized as a recorder output film.

It's in the news section of this home page.

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
Dear John, 50D in super 8 in time for the summer sunshine would be good news ?

I agree it would be good news, but it won't come from me, as I am not directly involved in the decision making process for offering additional Super-8 films. As stated in this and other forums, any additional film products must have a good business case. Bottom line: will the new film increase the overall volume of Super-8 film sold, and ultimately increase earnings of the product line? Being "good news" is not enough.

• Premium Member
Bottom line: will the new film increase the overall volume of Super-8 film sold, and ultimately increase earnings of the product line? Being "good news" is not enough.

How's the product line going now? Have the other Vision stocks in Super 8 sold well? We hear about Super 8's "rebirth" but are the sales numbers suporting that conclusion?

I thought I read in Super 8 Today that Kodak is pretty happy with recent sales...

And John, why aren't some of the Kodak Super 8 product people involved with these forums? You're a great rep for Kodak here, but it seems like having some give and take with Super 8 product people would be helpful for everyone... as long as we don't gang up too much! : )

Is Pro8 just really expensive? Because they re-can all the modern Kodak stocks into Super 8.

Though they charge more than it would cost straight from Kodak, at least it's available.

Just got back my first 01 footage, incredibly pleased with the results. Day Exterior can often be really contrasty, and though I loved 45 and will miss it (since it will probably be gone within the year), honestly the great freedom of the wider latitude 01 was a real pleasure to shoot with.

chuck haine