Green/Blue Screen Lighting

stephen lamb

Today is the day!

this afternoon im finally going to shoot this thing. I decided on Blue backing, and i feel i have enough kino-flo lighting units (the backing area is quite small) to keep it even. I've decided on how the final scene will look, and i think my simple plan for lighting the actress will work well. In the final scene she will be running through a dark concrete corridor ala Juarassic Park when Ellie is restoring power to the park. The hallway will have a few small lights on the ceilling directing light straight down. The entire hall will be added in CG, (not because i can't find a concrete hallway, but because this is the whole point of this shoot, to see if i can do it), including lights, and for simplicities sake, i am not going to have her interact with any CG obejcts. I will never show her feet touching the ground, and she won't bump into the walls at all either. My plan for lighting her then, is quite simple. Above her i am going to mount a very small fresnel, probably a 150w, on an ANCIENT light stand that our school has sitting around in the dusty corners. the great thing about this light stand though, is that it is BEEFY. Im going to crank that thing 10 ft high, and extend it's boom right out over the actress. (tested this, know the boom can support it just fine) then im going to spin the boom back and forth, while turning the lamp on and off, thus creating the illusion of her passing under lights. crap, i forgot to add that she will be fake running, ( my bluescreen space is WAY too small to have her actually run) and like i said earlier, i won't show her legs or anything. I will probably also add some VERY dim and very large diffused light in front and behind her, just to give her some illumination besides the overhead lamp. I'll put a fan on her hair, and presto! instand girl running down a hall. hahaha, thats the hope at least.

if that description made any sense to you all, what do you think?

as for testing out shots first with the compositor, i am going to be the compositor, and this whole thing is sort of a test. So i guess you could say im jumping in way over my head...but i find i learn better that way anyways. I know my wording can get confusing, so after the shoot i'll try and post a few pics of my setup, and then as i get my footage back, i'll post some stills as the process moves along. appreciate the input guys,

Steve

• Premium Member
Today is the day!

this afternoon im finally going to shoot this thing.  I decided on Blue backing, and i feel i have enough kino-flo lighting units (the backing area is quite small) to keep it even.  I've decided on how the final scene will look, and i think my simple plan for lighting the actress will work well.  In the final scene she will be running through a dark concrete corridor ala Juarassic Park when Ellie is restoring power to the park.  The hallway will have a few small lights on the ceilling directing light straight down.  The entire hall will be added in CG, (not because i can't find a concrete hallway, but because this is the whole point of this shoot, to see if i can do it), including lights, and for simplicities sake, i am not going to have her interact with any CG obejcts.  I will never show her feet touching the ground, and she won't bump into the walls at all either.  My plan for lighting her then, is quite simple.  Above her i am going to mount a very small fresnel, probably a 150w, on an ANCIENT light stand that our school has sitting around in the dusty corners.  the great thing about this light stand though, is that it is BEEFY.  Im going to crank that thing 10 ft high, and extend it's boom right out over the actress.  (tested this, know the boom can support it just fine)  then im going to spin the boom back and forth, while turning the lamp on and off, thus creating the illusion of her passing under lights.  crap, i forgot to add that she will be fake running, ( my bluescreen space is WAY too small to have her actually run) and like i said earlier, i won't show her legs or anything.  I will probably also add some VERY dim and very large diffused light in front and behind her, just to give her some illumination besides the overhead lamp.  I'll put a fan on her hair, and presto!  instand girl running down a hall.  hahaha, thats the hope at least. 

if that description made any sense to you all, what do you think?

as for testing out shots first with the compositor, i am going to be the compositor, and this whole thing is sort of a test.  So i guess you could say im jumping in way over my head...but i find i learn better that way anyways.  I know my wording can get confusing, so after the shoot i'll try and post a few pics of my setup, and then as i get my footage back, i'll post some stills as the process moves along.  appreciate the input guys,

Steve

Your result would be a track I guess?

It's like u follow her with a stabilising system.Beware that the light u turn on and off don't spoil your background.

Good luck

Dimitrios Koukas

Hey all,

well its in the can!

im super tired and off to bed, but though i'd let you all know it went off without a hitch, although i suppose we'll know that for sure once i get footage back...heheh. thanks for all the helfp, i'll post pics as the post process continues.

Steve