Carrying Compressed Air in Plane

Kamaljeet Negi

• Premium Member
Hello

Is it ok to carry CANAIR (compressed air) and things like that on flights ?

thanks in advance

Here's the "official" list from the US Transportation Security Administration:

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/P...ed_9_6_2005.pdf

• Premium Member

And it says no to any compressed gaz.

I'll tell you what, I've been leaving Dust-off cans in my case when travelling, before I knew it's forbidden !

The idea didn't come to my mind, when you pack your gear for a film and are worrying about so many others things...

Now, I'd ask the production to take care of Dust-off cans before taking a plane...

• Premium Member
Hello

Is it ok to carry CANAIR (compressed air) and things like that on flights ?

thanks in advance

All aircrafts have pressurised cabins,

If your can will blow, then u will blow too.

Only in case of sudden cabin pressure lost you will have this happen, but then who cares?

It would be to late for all.

But if the regulation don't approve it, then buy one can at the next location.

No problem if you fly bellow 10,000 ft.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member

I thought the problem was that the luggages fly in a non pressurised cabin.

Then with a very low air pressure, the can can explode.

If you carry stuff with you, there is a problem only if the pressurized air falls down.

(This why, if there is no pb, it won't explode)

• Premium Member
I thought the problem was that the luggages fly in a non pressurised cabin.

Then with a very low air pressure, the can can explode.

If you carry stuff with you, there is a problem only if the pressurized air falls down.

(This why, if there is no pb, it won't explode)

Friend,

Do u mean that the dogs that put in the luggage, flying in a non pressurised cabin?

Or cows , chickens or anything?

Sorry friend, the whole aircraft is pressurised.Believe me I ve got a Private Pilot's Licence, PPL.The airplane needs to be pressurised equal to 6800ft atmosphere.

Dimitrios

• Premium Member

Ok, thanks, I thought there was a pressurised place for animals etc but not for the only luggages.

I wonder where I got that from, actually, but I thought it was a valuable source...

Thanks for the information !

Do you mean that the special cases like Pellican, that allow a inner pressure, are only usefull if there is a fall in the pressure system ?

As you are a pilot, does this often happen or would people feel really bad if it would ?

• Premium Member
Do you mean that the special cases like Pellican, that allow a inner pressure, are only usefull if there is a fall in the pressure system ?

As you are a pilot, does this often happen or would people feel really bad if it would ?

I don't know what is a pelican can u be more specific? Is it the oxygen masks?

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member
These are tight cases that you can keep at the atmospherical pressure, with screws on a hole that allow to put slowly at the outside pressure before you open them again

Do u mean the pressurised chambers? I think there are from steel 1meter thick?

Look this have the same pressure with u as u get in, and then they change the pressure to the one u will need to go to the other side.

If I am getting it here?

Are we suddenly completly out of topic? lol sry.

Dimitrios Koukas

Edited by Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member

As for the second part,no this rarely happens,I mean really rarely, cause it's unfortunately most of the times fatal.

Depending on the altitude this happens u can have only three seconds to wear your oxygen mask.

For me beeing a heavy smoker, even that could reach at my mask I would be probably unconsious before that.

U see it's excactly the same with what happens to scuba divers, at long depths.

All has to do with the quantity of oxygen in your blood, that decreases at high Altitudes if you aren't in a pressurised cabin.

Dimitrios Koukas

Edited by Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member
So you mean that when one feels sort of weird pressure (that hurts you ear, for instance), it's not actually a fall of pressure problem?

(we are really getting out off topic here aren't we...)

This weird pressure usually happens when u have a cold, one bubble of air is traped in the ear tubes that are blocked from snot, so the bubble the pressure of air when trapped, (usually about 0-1000 ft) while the airplanes cabin keeps the pressure equal to 6800 ft when you are flying above 6800-36000ft.

Don't even worry if you see blood running of your nose the next day, it's this bubble that finally found it's way out!

There are two cases of loss of cabin pressure,the immediate one and the slower one, In the slower, u usually have eyphoria then hypoxia and after u loose consiousness, while in the accelarated one there aren't so much that u can do,just put your oxygen mask on.

And yes we are completely out of subject!

I hope the posters forgive us for this.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member
as for cases; I'm talking about that :

http://www.pelicanoem.com/products.htm

Laurent

Vey nice cases but, there is no reason for this, u only need that whe u are diving.And u have to open your equipment in big depths, or you are climbing the Everest mountain and u want to open your equipment up there.It says that their pattent will help you openning them.

U can do the same job with any case while climbing a mountain as long as u open the case every 4000ft.So u let same pressure air get into the case. ;) I believe there are made for military purposes but there are very tough indeed.

You can't be safer with them in an airplane.But I guess they will do for Dust-off cans carrying.But remember, if the regulations say no, then it's definately a NO.

So we are staying back to the first that I suggested , to just go and buy your Dust-off cans when u land.

Dimitrios Koukas