Dolly questions

Guest Luke McMillian

Hey, I'm ready to buy something to obtain some moving shots. I'm using a mini dv camcorder. I was thinking of buying a used wheel chair at first, but then I thought what about those walkers with the big wheels that old people use? Do you think they'd be as good as a wheel chair, because the nice thing is you can set the camera up higher on it without using a tripod or anything. Does anybody have any experience using one of these or am I better of trying to build one? any links for a good one?

thanks

Luke

4 wheels are better than 2, remember that. Walkers have 2 wheels, so you will have to hold the back of the walker off the ground fro the front wheels to role right.

Trust me, Id just stick with a wheelchair. Or better yet, why not make a Dolly? You can prolly make one for $150 using wood and 4 small tires.

Wheel chair good walker bad. The wheel chairs roll great are smooth and very stable. Rolling walkers and assume you mean the 4 wheel kind are not designed to do what you want. Wheels are two small center of gravity in wrong area.

Yeah I was talking about the 4 wheel walkers. I thought they would have been perfect! ah well, I trust your judgement. I will definitely check out that cart at home depot sounds interesting! Question: What about when you have to get some moving shots on rougher terrain? Do you guys lay down any tracks or anything for the wheel chairs or dolly? any kind of ramp made of plywood boards what is usually used? Because the movie I'm thinking about doing would require dolly shots in a forrest around a campfire. thanks again you guys. I appreciate the replies!

Luke

• Premium Member
Yeah I was talking about the 4 wheel walkers. I thought they would have been perfect! ah well, I trust your judgement. I will definitely check out that cart at home depot sounds interesting! Question: What about when you have to get some moving shots on rougher terrain? Do you guys lay down any tracks or anything for the wheel chairs or dolly? any kind of ramp made of plywood boards what is usually used? Because the movie I'm thinking about doing would require dolly shots in a forrest around a campfire. thanks again you guys. I appreciate the replies!

Luke

There is always the glidecam 2000pro for small cameras stabilization , why not ask for how much u will find it from a rental house?

You will need an operator for this though.

check www.glidecam.com

Dimitrios

Ah, I was just thinking what about Baby strollers, like the nicer heavy duty ones. Because they are designed to make the ride for the baby as smooth as possible. Anybody have any experience using one of these? I guess i could always rig up a tripod in there somehow. what do you think?

Luke

• Premium Member
Ah, I was just thinking what about Baby strollers, like the nicer heavy duty ones. Because they are designed to make the ride for the baby as smooth as possible. Anybody have any experience using one of these? I guess i could always rig up a tripod in there somehow. what do you think?

Luke

Well, yes, maybe u can use a medium tripod or a baby one on one of this.

One thing that u have to keep in mind is that the wheels sometimes do some uncontrolable turns by their axis so this could ruin your shot easily.

Dimitrios Koukas