Examples of portrait/'sideways' film please..

Nick Mulder

• Premium Member
I'm interested in making one maybe (16mm camera) - wanted to see what else was out there ...

only example I know of is Mr Brian Eno:

http://vs2.i-dat.org/unstructured/eno1.html

any ideas on the logistics of presentation ?

cheers!

nick

Nick,

Can u bemore specific?

I am confused.what has Brian eno has to do with this?

I went to the link but I can't find a connection...

Dimitrios Koukas

Nick,

Can u bemore specific?

I am confused.what has Brian eno has to do with this?

I went to the link but I can't find a connection...

Dimitrios Koukas

A film shot and presented in portrait aspect (higher than it is wide) - 'sideways' is what most people would call it ...

instead of 1.66 it would be more like 0.602

"from Eno turning a video monitor on its side in a New York loft, to the realisation of a new form of artwork for public spaces."

cheers for the response - Perhaps I was being a bit sparse in my description (;

Nick

• 1 month later...

Most of the ones I've seen have been for novelty at a trade show or something. It's not film, but "Around the Horn" on ESPN uses a series of four (satellite interview) plasmas on their sides so the host can see them all simultaneously. I assume they're shot this wasy as well, but it could be done as a DVE in the control room instead. We never see the screens close enough to notice the resolution loss if so.

Most of the ones I've seen have been for novelty at a trade show or something. It's not film, but "Around the Horn" on ESPN uses a series of four (satellite interview) plasmas on their sides so the host can see them all simultaneously. I assume they're shot this wasy as well, but it could be done as a DVE in the control room instead. We never see the screens close enough to notice the resolution loss if so.

You don't see the resolution loss, but you do see when they switch to the close up of the sports writers. They are shown full screen several times in the program. They are definitely shot normally and just cropped for the screens.

As for the idea of shooting portrait, it has been something on my mind for quite a while. Obviously delivery of the video is the important part(how it's shown). I think an experimental video shown on the web is the way to go. That is unless you can convince all your viewers to turn their TVs sideways. :)

• Premium Member
You don't see the resolution loss, but you do see when they switch to the close up of the sports writers. They are shown full screen several times in the program. They are definitely shot normally and just cropped for the screens.

I've never seen the show in question but I directed a show for a few years where the remote (reporter/guest) shot was cropped and rotated 90º, fed to an on-set plasma which was also rotated 90º. I've seen it done on many other shows. Most certainly before we did it.

The outfit I worked for was/is NOT known for breaking new ground. Quite the contrary.

I think an experimental video shown on the web is the way to go.

This is actually quite common, and I do it a lot, myself. Although in this case it's not experimental, it's for bandwidth/design reasons. I'll have a spokesperson introducing various multimedia elements off to one side of the screen at something like 300x400. It's a pain to shoot, though, especially when it comes to limiting hand gestures, because in my case I'll often shoot on white or black and then that blends seamlessly with the surrounding multimedia white or black on the rest of the page (looks like a chromakey) and you gotta be sure a stray hand doesn't "disappear" in the middle of empty space when it gets cropped. With Flash8 you could use an alpha channel and actually have it overlap the multimedia.

Thanks for the ESPN clarification.