How can you break in in la

robertoreyes

hello

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight. I just recently graduated with my B.A in film and moved to L.A. Im having a hard time getting any crew positions or even PA work. does any one have any suggestions of where I should be looking for jobs? Does anyone know how I could get into any of the studios or production companies? Im willing to do any job to get my foot in the door.

• Premium Member
hello

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight.  I just recently graduated with my B.A in film and moved to L.A.  Im having a hard time getting any crew positions or even PA work.  does any one have any suggestions of where I should be looking for jobs? Does anyone know how I could get into any of the studios or production companies?  Im willing to do any job to get my foot in the door.

Just don't quit m8,

Have faith and believe on what you are doing.

Some patience is required and also collect info about production companies , renting houses and go door to door and ask them.

Dimitrios Koukas

I'd check past threads on this issue, it has been asked and answered a hundred times on this forum.

Oh and by the way, since you describe your self as a new grad and willing to do any job, you're not really a director of photography are you?

I could care less, but others in the forum take exception to people who admit to having zero professional credentials, and then use this title.

R,

How about a little more info Roberto.

You graduated with a BA - did the school offer any suggestions regarding where to start?

You say in your profile that your primary job is Director of Photography - have you met any exec?s or producers on shoots that might point you in the right direction?

You say you?re having a hard time getting PA work - where exactly have you tried?

Answer these questions and maybe the people here can help you a little better.

Here is a little more info

I have done quite a few projects while in school in miami where I have done dp and directing, gaffing, key grip and pa. Most of the sets that I have done this work on have been low budget or no budget working with people who are trying just like me to break in to the industry. The few big budget projects that I have worked on were for the same producer who is local to miami and has very few connections here in LA. Unfortunately the school that I attended primarily looks to get you work in Miami. They have my resume and my reel and not much has come of it. As far as pa work I have picked up some jobs here in LA from mandy.com and connections that I have made from those opportunities. Most of the jobs that I do get is because once I get on the set I give it my all, I have a passion for film. Although I signed on as a dp and it is the position that i love the most I am willing to start in any position as I have a good working knowledge from my time in Miami. Does anyone have and suggestions? Thanks to those that can help point me in the right direction.

Whether you are an actor, actress, writer, director, or someone else working in the entertainment industry, whether considering a temporary relocation to the USA or something more permanent, 'Make It America' could answer your question about making it in LA and the USA!

The new 'Make It America' website is online now:

http://www.makeitamerica.com

Sign up for FREE to receive the information you require and use MEMBERS FEATURES FOR FREE for a limited time.

My suggestion would be to do almost exactly what you were doing in Miami: work on no/low budget crews to make connections.

You get started by checking the job boards on the internet, checking the local industry magazines and even working for free on student films.

You mention you?re having a hard time getting PA work. Where have you looked already? Maybe I can help narrow your search.

I have mostly picked up crew jobs on mandy.com

if you could give me any other suggestions I would really appreciate it.

My suggestion would be to do almost exactly what you were doing in Miami: work on no/low budget crews to make connections.

You get started by checking the job boards on the internet, checking the local industry magazines and even working for free on student films.

You mention you?re having a hard time getting PA work. Where have you looked already? Maybe I can help narrow your search.

a friend of mine got pretty lucky. he did a short producing course at ucla after he finished his bachelor here in australia and the ucla course requireshim to do an internship which he did at Lloyd Levins/ Lawrence Gordons (tomb raider, predator, die hard) company...after he worked there for 3 monts as an intern, Lawrence Gordon offered him a job as his personal assistant, which of cours he took immediately. but how lucky was he, finished uni 6 months ago,w ent to ucla to do the 6 weeks sumemr course and through that he got such a job.