The death of film

Sean Morris

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
Hi,

I think videotape will be dead long before Film. I understand VHS recorders have not been sold in the UK by 'Dixons' one of the largest electronics chains for some time! DVD's have replaced then!

Stephen

I have to agree here,

And just because the market's facts are proving this, I believe really soon DVD's will be dead, I believe is about three or two years since now that the hard disk recording consumer videos are replacing DVD's?

Little by little, as it will hapen with the 4:3 tv format and the tube television sets.

Plasma's in 16:9 is replacing them.In the future u could go to the video club and rent a usb hard disk.Why not?

And I keep on wondering why all this anxiety by everyone to reach film's attributes and quality or standards.

What would be the gain?

Cheaper shooting?

I don't think so.

The crew members will be the same in large productions, u can't light without electricians or u can't make a huge set-up without carpenters.

Even that we all know how to paint a surface, or nail two girders together . So what...

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member

When I said "Videotape is Dead" I was inclusive. All of the current production side "Videotape Decks" are actually glorified and specialized streaming data recorders.

All of them will be replaced by solid state or portable data drives.

I currently Xfer all of my projects to a 320 Gig Firewire drive. I have three which are messengered or overnighted to and from the transfer house. Even my ocassionally HD or DV project is dumped to a Firewire Drive or uploaded to my FTP site.

Videotape is nasty stuff responsible for global warming and lower sperm counts in industrialized countries

Videotape is technologically obsolete and well be long gone before Kodak stops punching holes in Film

After all Film is made out of silver and videotape is made out of rust!

( remember-history, irony, sense of humor!)

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
Hi,

I think videotape will be dead long before Film. I understand VHS recorders have not been sold in the UK by 'Dixons' one of the largest electronics chains for some time! DVD's have replaced then!

Stephen

From living in the U.K, video tapes aren't dead yet. The majority of people still have video players and videos are still sold. Most people in the U.K tend to have both a DVD player and Video player at the moment.

After all Film is made out of silver and videotape is made out of rust!

35mm requires a projector the size of my bedroom to run. How can you even compare them. Video has served everyone well, you can't knock it. But if you're going to get like that about things, just see what's taken the lead in 50 years time... sorry but I "think" 35mm might be classed as "crap".

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith