Tele Lens

Abyssa Znebaka

I am making a documentary using a Canon ZR60. When I am interviewing people and getting a close up, the picture box seems to be very small, as in the area the camera is shooting tends to be very small.

If I use a tele lens and move the camera back and zoom in would I get a bigger picture frame? I hope I am making sense here!

• Premium Member

I don't really get that...

Usually, for an interview, one would put the camera like 2 meters away, oups, sorry I mean about 6 feet away and then zoom to get the frame one wants.

Is it what you do ?

Maybe this link might help you ?

http://www.wheelock.edu/IT/Canon_video.pdf

Also, please notice there are sections for newbies and students on these forums, you are welcome !

I don't really get that...

Usually, for an interview, one would put the camera like 2 meters away, oups, sorry I mean about 6 feet away and then zoom to get the frame one wants.

Is it what you do ?

Maybe this link might help you ?

http://www.wheelock.edu/IT/Canon_video.pdf

Also, please notice there are sections for newbies and students on these forums, you are welcome !

At 6 feet it seems too far to me, and when I zoom in I feel like the person is filling the entire picture. I was just wondering if I used a tele if I can be more like 8 feet away and zoom in would I get a larger picture frame. Thanks for your reply though!

• Premium Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to be sarcastic at all !

I see you are a student on your profile so I thought you may be learning in a film school, so I would have invite you to ask you teachers to see with you and the camera what the problem is, if any.

No, you don't have to be a student in a film school to post here. You see, the thing is that people who post here can be ASC members, people who direct the photography of the biggest films in the world, as well as 15 years old schoolboys.

As I had a problem understanding your question, I just thought I'd need to figure out who you are a bit better as to understand it... and help you, if I can...

We always need informations to answer a question properly. For instance, the distance you work at for an interview is someothing that has to be know in regard to answering your question...

Don't feel harm in any way. If I was a bit rude to you, I apologise.

• Premium Member

I see you are a student on your profile so I thought you may be learning in a film school,  so I would have invite you to ask you teachers to see with you and the camera what the problem is, if any.

No, you don't have to be a student in a film school to post here. You see, the thing is that people who post here can be ASC members, people who direct the photography of the biggest films in the world, as well as 15 years old schoolboys.

As I had a problem understanding your question, I just thought I'd need to figure out who you are a bit better as to understand it... and help you, if I can...

We always need informations to answer a question properly. For instance, the distance you work at for an interview is someothing that has to be know in regard to answering your question...

There is no need to apologise to someone that doesn't know what framming is.

What I believe from what she is saying is that she presses the zoom button all the way and always goes to full telephoto.

You have just asked her to be more specific.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member
I am making a documentary using a Canon ZR60. When I am interviewing people and getting a close up, the picture box seems to be very small, as in the area the camera is shooting tends to be very small.

If I use a tele lens and move the camera back and zoom in would I get a bigger picture frame? I hope I am making sense here!

This are your camera specs am I right?

Try to remove the digital zoom option from your camera

And remember that it's unatural a camera to get bigger or smaller or to other physical parts of it.

:blink: :blink:

0.34 megapixels (effective), 18x optical zoom/360x digital zoom, Mini DV format, 2.5" LCD, auto and manual focus, electronic image stabilization, 1.14 lbs.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member

Also there is a button on the camera with the markings W and Z. W goes for wide angle lens and Z goes zoom .Press it to see what happens.

U see your camera has a ZOOM lens wich is a wide angle AND a TELEPHOTO too.

Dimitrios Koukas

I see you are a student on your profile so I thought you may be learning in a film school,  so I would have invite you to ask you teachers to see with you and the camera what the problem is, if any.

Ok Cool, I am a student indeed studying American History, this documentary is about American women who were born in the years between 1900 and 1930, the crafts and arts they had learned during their lives.

Nothing too thrilling to most men I am sure but for some women it is very intriguing research.