lighting

Ken Minehan

Hey guys, i have to shoot a Jazz MTV next week. I need to light a bar, quite big space, with some extras seated as the audience. I want to light them quite evenly, but in a subtle dim manner.

There will be a spot light on the singer on stage, but need to seperate the audience from the singer.

Any ideas on the type of lights to use for the audience?

ken

yes. i put high wattage regular bulbs or photofloods in cheap chinese lanterns from ikea. works great. they provide plenty of light that's very soft and wrapping yet directional. hang a few of them above the audience and if you're after what i think you are that should get you there.

/matt

• Premium Member
yes. i put high wattage regular bulbs or photofloods in cheap chinese lanterns from ikea. works great. they provide plenty of light that's very soft and wrapping yet directional. hang a few of them above the audience and if you're after what i think you are that should get you there.

/matt

I liked mattias style,

Also in case they have a hole under don't forget to cover it with spun or some diffusion.

Put them on dimmer packs, I am sure that u can hook them up in the club's lighting desk, in case u re not equiped with one.

u can use 8 per/ channel if u want, in case u have 250w photofloods, if u dim them they will give u a nice warm look and u can also flash them for more fun.

Try to play with the clubs lighting , if there is any, and ask for the bar's electrician or the person that uses the fixtures to be there for a cooperation.

Dimitrios Koukas

Edited by Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member
you could use the lighting that is already in the bar. Also you can use some china balls set to dimmers. You can add pools of light in certain areas by using 100w-300w with gels on them to give them a little color.

Mario C. Jackson

Thanks

Dimitrios

If you dim the lights, the color balance will change. It will get warmer the more down you dim them. But if this is what you want then that's good.

You might want to think about controlling the light with black wrap or black garbage bags. These balls spill like hell. But once you get control over the lights, it looks nice and soft.

• Premium Member
If you dim the lights, the color balance will change. It will get warmer the more down you dim them. But if this is what you want then that's good.

You might want to think about controlling the light with black wrap or black garbage bags. These balls spill like hell. But once you get control over the lights, it looks nice and soft.

Oh yep they spin! But usually no problem if you put black cloth or cine-foil when they re idling in place.

Dimitrios Koukas