Soft FX filters

Dimitrios Koukas

I use the excellant Formatt 4x4's including

1/2 Black Supermist

#1 Black Supermist

1/4 Clear Supermist

#2 Black Net

Prior to that I used Tiffen screw-ins. In terms of softening and light loss, I can tell no difference whatever. I had a long conversation with a senior engineer from Schneider once and he pretty much confirmed that general equivalency exists throughout the industry. Formatt makes a big deal about the quality of their glass, while Schneider like to be thought of as cutting-edge, but I think the end results are all pretty much the same/

• Premium Member
I use the excellant Formatt 4x4's including

1/2 Black Supermist

#1 Black Supermist

1/4 Clear Supermist

#2 Black Net

Prior to that I used Tiffen screw-ins.  In terms of softening and light loss, I can tell no difference whatever.  I had a long conversation with a senior engineer from Schneider once and he pretty much confirmed that general equivalency exists throughout the industry.  Formatt makes a big deal about the quality of their glass, while Schneider like to be thought of as cutting-edge, but I think the end results are all pretty much the same/

Thanks for your reply.

Are u fun of airplanes m8? I hold a PPL.

Dimitrios

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Hello,

Most of the time I have used the tiffen's Pro-mists 1/4/and 1/2,(Not the Black ones),

what is their relation to similar filters in the market like Schneider optics or B+W if there is one.

Thank you in advance.

Dimitrios Koukas

Diffusion filters tend to come in two basic varieties; those that have a light-scattering substance in the glass, and those that have a texture to disturb the light path on the way to the lens. There are some that do both, and with different color qualities as well.

In general the light-scattering type like Tiffen's Pro Mist cause more flare or halation in the highlights than they do softening to image, relative to the filter's strength. They also lower the contrast more as you increase the strength (White Pro Mist fogging the blacks the most). Schnieder's equivalent are called "Frost."

The textured type uses the surface of the glass in the form of bumps or "lenslets" to diffuse the light path. These filters tend to soften or blur the image more than they cause flare or halation, and usually don't alter the contrast at all. Tiffen's version is called "Soft FX," and Schneider's are called "Classic Softs."

http://www.tiffen.com/results.html?search_...t=Larger+Format

http://www.schneideroptics.com/filters/fil...fusion_filters/

• Premium Member
Yeah, me too. SEL, Night VFR.

Are those David Clark's you are wearing in your avatar?

:)

Indeed! Happy flying m8.

Dimitrios Koukas

Diffusion filters tend to come in two basic varieties; those that have a light-scattering substance in the glass, and those that have a texture to disturb the light path on the way to the lens. There are some that do both, and with different color qualities as well.

In general the light-scattering type like Tiffen's Pro Mist cause more flare or halation in the highlights than they do softening to image, relative to the filter's strength. They also lower the contrast more as you increase the strength (White Pro Mist fogging the blacks the most). Schnieder's equivalent are called "Frost."

The textured type uses the surface of the glass in the form of bumps or "lenslets" to diffuse the light path. These filters tend to soften or blur the image more than they cause flare or halation, and usually don't alter the contrast at all. Tiffen's version is called "Soft FX," and Schneider's are called "Classic Softs."

http://www.tiffen.com/results.html?search_...t=Larger+Format

http://www.schneideroptics.com/filters/fil...fusion_filters/

Thanks Mike,

Is it supposed that the schneiders are using better quality optics? (glass).

Dimitrios Koukas