1st AC on Super16 shoot

Guest Adam Price

Guest Adam Price

I'm first AC on my first Super16 shoot next weekend. I've searched all through these forums, looked everywhere online, and I can't seem to find any depth of field charts specifically for Super16. We're shooting on Vision2 200T and Vision2 250D.

How are the all purpose charts in the ASC manual used? Is there a standard circle of confusion for Super16 format?

What else should I keep in mind on this shoot in order to compensate for the different format?

Plenty of TV shows, etc, shoot on Super16; there must be a standard chart for depth of field, right?

• Premium Member

If you're going to shoot a lot or AC a lot, I'd suggest getting a copy of the ASC manual. It's amazing and has all sorts of tables like the one he linked to, plus tons more that are pretty useful. It's not a cheap book but it's worth every dollar.

• Premium Member
I'm first AC on my first Super16 shoot next weekend. I've searched all through these forums, looked everywhere online, and I can't seem to find any depth of field charts specifically for Super16. We're shooting on Vision2 200T and Vision2 250D.

How are the all purpose charts in the ASC manual used? Is there a standard circle of confusion for Super16 format?

What else should I keep in mind on this shoot in order to compensate for the different format?

Plenty of TV shows, etc, shoot on Super16; there must be a standard chart for depth of field, right?

Adam,

Standard 16 and S16 have same circle of conlusion.

Dimitrios Koukas

You also might find the PCam and PCine software useful. It's pretty cool and it's only like 15 bucks or so to register, though you *can* download it for free if you want. I got a cheap Palm Pilot on ebay for about 30 and it has been well worth the investment.

Good luck and have fun! What camera are you shooting on?

Is there any kind of portable DOF calculating device?

That link is nice, but how bout portable. I do have a ASC manual, but Im just asking.

IS that whay SpikeyAnnie is talking about? The PCam and PCine software with palm pilot? If so, what exactly is PCam and PCine?

Thank you.

Edited by Keneu

• Premium Member
Is there any kind of portable DOF calculating device?

That link is nice, but how bout portable. I do have a ASC manual, but Im just asking.

IS that whay SpikeyAnnie is talking about? The PCam and PCine software with palm pilot? If so, what exactly is PCam and PCine?

Thank you.

There are many palm-pc's that have cinematography softwares, most of my assistants using them.

Dimitrios Koukas

Guest Adam Price

Thanks for the help everyone. I had someone tell me about a book called "Practical Cinematography" by Paul Wheeler, in which he says that the following circles of confusion apply:

35mm film forr TV only = 1/500 in

35mm film for theatrical release = 1/700 or 1/1000 in

Std 16mm for TV 1/1000 in

Super 16mm to be blown up to 35mm = 1/2000 in

Since we may possibly be blowing up to 35 (considering the increasing amount of money behind the project, I wouldn't be surprised), I converted 1/2000 in. to 0.013mm, and plugged that number into www.dofmaster.com, which is a really cool tool by the way. This gives a chart which is considerably more conservative than standard 16mm charts.

By the way, the camera is an XTR prod, and it's a sweet machine. Frighteningly quiet. And full of crazy features.. glowing frameline in the eyepiece? amazing. Electronic footage counter and internal meter. Clamshelling eyepiece. Such a smart camera.

There's the Guild Kelly Calculator (fits nicely into assistants pouch) or the Samcine Calculator which works for HD,35mm and 16mm by sliding it to the corresponding Circle of confusion for each format. Will give you a guide for both fixed and zoom lenses. I'd definetely go for the Samcine. Be aware, they come in two flavours - feet or metres.

Kelly: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/kewhakakeca.html

Samcine: http://www.sourceshop.com/product.asp?pid=56

Good luck!

Tammo van Hoorn 1st AC