Critique

Dimitrios Koukas

Nice stuff, Dimitrios.

I'm just a lowly student but here's my $0.02...

My only critisizm would be that your shots look like they're well lit (I'm no expert)... but they're kind of, er, bland? Like stock photography... there's just something missing...a certain subtext that jumps out and grabs your attention. Technically though you seem to know exactly what you're doing... and they are commercials after all so I guess that's the point. Your work has a sort of 'lively' feel to it which I dig.

Check out Adam Frisch and Claudio Miranda's websites. Maybe it's just me, but every frame grab from their commercials seems to grab your attention somehow... sort of in "a picture's worth a 1,000 words" sort of way. Maybe it's the angles, the 'look', the lighting... I can't really tell yet.

The frame grabs with the (really hot) girl are interesting... was that from a commercial or a narrative project?

Keep up the good work and thanks for your informative posts!

Jonathan

• Premium Member
Nice stuff, Dimitrios.

My only critisizm would be that your shots look like they're well lit (I'm no expert)... but they're kind of, er, bland? Like stock photography... there's just something missing...a certain subtext that jumps out and grabs your attention. Technically though you seem to know exactly what you're doing... and they are commercials after all so I guess that's the point. Your work has a sort of 'lively' feel to it which I dig.

Check out Adam Frisch and Claudio Miranda's websites. Maybe it's just me, but every frame grab from their commercials seems to grab your attention somehow... sort of in "a picture's worth a 1,000 words" sort of way. Maybe it's the angles, the 'look', the lighting... I can't really tell yet.

The frame grabs with the (really hot) girl are interesting... was that from a commercial or a narrative project?

Keep up the good work and thanks for your informative posts!

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Thank you very much for your post, This are just grabs from my dvd show reel and some of them are really bad compressed, but I can see what you mean,and thanks.

No the girl is just from a tv filler kind of program, that had to do with clubs, drinks and entertainment.

That was from 1996.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member
Dimitrios,

What format did you shoot those with?

How is the film industry in Greece?

Cheers,

Jonathan

The cream drops are 35mm, and the two kids, the girl is Beta SP,

while the table with coffee is Digibeta.

Actually there is no film industry here,all Greek movies must consider indepented (budget wise).

Most of the Dp's working in tv shows, tv series and commercials.

For the commercials we use 35mm or S16, and there are only 2 HD cameras!!!

One Sony cine alta and one panasonic something.

Only one director shoots Panavision and it is Th. Aggelopoulos.

All the film facilities and telecine's work mostly on Tv adverts, and we are too many for this jobs, wich means that the competition is huge.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member
It's hard to honestly critique the work with such extreme compression and no motion. Why are they compressed so much?

Cause many shots and transfers were from old Avid systems that had be transfering to betacamSP and then back to Avid etc.

Not all of it , but most is old.So when I am updating my old showreel, I am just adding the new jobs,thing is that there are too many production companies to collect all the material, or it will take me too long to do the show reel again with the master tapes, so I am using the old reel.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member
Nice stuff, Dimitrios.

My only critisizm would be that your shots look like they're well lit (I'm no expert)... but they're kind of, er, bland? Like stock photography... there's just something missing...a certain subtext that jumps out and grabs your attention.

Jonathan

Sometimes the Art direction is what u say... bland.

One script can be turn to image with many ways, it's other factors that reducing the overall quality.

As u said the images are technically correct. But when everything is been shot on a ''limbo'' background, then u have some limitations indeed.

Dimitrios

I am open to any thoughts or criticism about my work,

please feel really free to say anything, it will help me.

Thank you,

Dimitrios Koukas

Dimitrios,

Thanks for sharing your work. The images look good. As far as lighting is concerned, I would like to see more on the couple in front of the sunset, even if it was just bounced from the sunset - to give some modeling to the figures. The table-with-coffee shot looks pretty blown out in one area - the doughnuts on the plate (can't really tell if they are doughnuts, but I'm guessing). Other than that, I can't think of any complaints. Good work.

(edited to remove picture links)

Edited by MikeL

• Premium Member
Dimitrios,

Thanks for sharing your work. The images look good. As far as lighting is concerned, I would like to see more on the couple in front of the sunset, even if it was just bounced from the sunset - to give some modeling to the figures. The table-with-coffee shot looks pretty blown out in one area - the doughnuts on the plate (can't really tell if they are doughnuts, but I'm guessing). Other than that, I can't think of any complaints. Good work.

(edited to remove picture links)

Mike ,

Thank you very much for your post, as u see on the couple the 1200 cinepar I was using as a fill allready hade made shadows opposite the sun'd direction, and I wanted to avoid beeing so unnatural, don't forget that that was with an old Bet Sp camera, with not so much latitude on the CCD, believe me it was much better when I was looking at them with my own eyes :) .

As for the donuts (courambies) a traditional sweet here, it was on purpose burst out, so the eye will follow the product. Well maybe now the eye falls on the burned out candies but anyway, :)

Thanks again

Dimitrios Koukas

• 1 month later...
Guest LondonFilmMan

Dimitrios, you are showing us 1 *divided by* a 24th of a second's worth *multiplied by* the amount of still images you are showing us...which doesn't really go far...all in all, less than a second... it might be especially nice to see some of your moving images with sound and, perhaps, some of your aerial work...

• Premium Member
Dimitrios, you are showing us 1 *divided by* a 24th of a second's worth *multiplied by* the amount of still images you are showing us...which doesn't really go far...all in all, less than a second... it might be especially nice to see some of your moving images with sound and, perhaps, some of your aerial work...

Well,

No problem, but how???

I am not so much into compression technology and video streamming.

I have just followed the same rule (posting frames) like other fellow cinematographers did.

Dimitrios

Edited by Dimitrios Koukas