Kinos in shot

Is it my imagination, or has the new look forum slowed things down considerably?

Anyway, we're shooting an interesting piece next week on S16, with a large number of kinos built directly into the set, mostly singles. We were happy as Larry, until someone mentioned to me that the kinos would probably blow out, leaving long tubes of fuzzy white light, rather than seeing the details and tubular shape of the fixture. To complicate things further we're shooting on Fuji F-250 with a bleach bypass on the neg, underexposing accordingly.

This time we're lucky enough to be a able to get a full grading, although unexpected results on the neg are still pretty disconcerting. Does anyone have any experience with exposing this kind of situation? Of course, we could gel the kinos if neccessary, cannot really think of any other solution....

• Premium Member

Well, if this were normally processed negative, I'd say don't worry about the tubes because modern filmstocks handle that brightness well. But when you're skip-bleach processing negative, bright areas can run away from you and burn out quickly, so testing is highly recommended. However, you may like the results of the burned-out areas, which is one of the reasons one skip-bleaches negative in the first place.

• Premium Member
Is it my imagination, or has the new look forum slowed things down considerably?

Anyway, we're shooting an interesting piece next week on S16, with a large number of kinos built directly into the set, mostly singles. We were happy as Larry, until someone mentioned to me that the kinos would probably blow out, leaving long tubes of fuzzy white light, rather than seeing the details and tubular shape of the fixture. To complicate things further we're shooting on Fuji F-250 with a bleach bypass on the neg, underexposing accordingly.

This time we're lucky enough to be a able to get a full grading, although unexpected results on the neg are still pretty disconcerting. Does anyone have any experience with exposing this kind of situation? Of course, we could gel the kinos if neccessary, cannot really think of any other solution....

There are fluorescent lamps that u can dimmer with a digital ballast, and u can found some with a 3400 colour temperature.

I believe that maybe it's late for changing it at this time?

Dimitrios Koukas

Well I dont know, I have never done skip Bleach process. I have shot with Flos in frame, and yes, they will burn, not awfully, but look good and interesting. You can cut down luminance coming out of the fixture by selecting the 2 ft switch, so that they wont be too hot.

good luck!!!

hi! when in shot I´ve placed lights at about three over graycard when spotted to get good definition without blowing. guess skip-bleach would make it even whiter but not bloom though, so I think u would be fine with three over..? Cheers/ Fred

Edited by fredrik backar