Kodak 5289 Vision 800t

so im shooting a low budget video for the band "fishbone" this coming weekend and we barely have the budget for 35mm but we're going for it (thanks Hollywood Camera!). we got an insane deal on stock from Dr. Rawstock on some 5289 - the only vision stock i've never shot on. so i know its fast and production is a little worried about the grainy-ness factor. now they are fine with a little grain, and yeah it is 35mm so i'm not super worried, but basically since its been discontinued (hence the great rate) i don't know anyone who has shot it and NOT like pushed the heck out of it to get a more grainy look.

so i'm thinking of rating it at 640 asa because i want a little more density and i want some really rich blacks (will pull it down in telecine). what i'm looking for is advice on this stock and getting the most out of it in terms of using it normally. we're shooting everything on a stage and have a lot of control, so anyone who has any thoughts on this stock - please help a guy out!

• Premium Member

DP John Perez shot the entire Alicia Keys video for "A Woman's Worth"with the '89, he even pushed it one stop in a few scenes. Perez lit the entire video with practicals, except for one scene where he used a single 18K HMI. That video is probably more "high end" in terms of look and style than what you're going for with Fishbone, but it's still a good reference for you to check out.

• Premium Member
so im shooting a low budget video for the band "fishbone" this coming weekend and we barely have the budget for 35mm but we're going for it (thanks Hollywood Camera!). we got an insane deal on stock from Dr. Rawstock on some 5289 - the only vision stock i've never shot on. so i know its fast and production is a little worried about the grainy-ness factor. now they are fine with a little grain, and yeah it is 35mm so i'm not super worried, but basically since its been discontinued (hence the great rate) i don't know anyone who has shot it and NOT like pushed the heck out of it to get a more grainy look.

so i'm thinking of rating it at 640 asa because i want a little more density and i want some really rich blacks (will pull it down in telecine). what i'm looking for is advice on this stock and getting the most out of it in terms of using it normally. we're shooting everything on a stage and have a lot of control, so anyone who has any thoughts on this stock - please help a guy out!

Joseph,

800ASA for television is a good choise,

And also rate it at 640 like you said is a good option, since it will not go for theatrical release, it's a stock that has a nice latitude and very flexible it terms of transfer, so a lot can be done there.

Yes it has more grain than other stocks but not something unacceptable.

Going on 35mm also gives you a better look.

Just light the blacks a bit more and then ''crash'' them in the telecine.

But this can be achieved only by overexposing like u said.

It would be a pain if you have exterior daylight shots , u will need some ND to compensate I guess?

Dimitrios Koukas

thanks for all the tips guys - i think you've all succeeded in quelling my fears about this faster stock. the alicia keys note was awesome - as thats a hot looking video (definitely more high end than we're going for) but yeah this video is all interior on a stage - theatrical lighting style. will definitely rate at 640 - and yeah since its finishing on tape, i think i'll be able to find some good looks.

thanks so much!

• Premium Member

Just a note of caution that since this film has been discontinued for well over a year, it's old enough to have suffered additional grain buildup from ambient radiation, which affects high speed films the most. So even if it has been refrigerated, I'd err on the side of slight overexposure, and suggest running a test to evaluate fog level and graininess.

just wanted to drop a note saying i just got back from telecine for the Fishbone video in question - where i shot 5289 - and everything came out great. really nice contrast even with the slight overexposure - which helped with the grain a bit (did end up rating at 640 asa) - and the color really did resemble 5279 quite a bit, which i love. thanks to all for the helpful advice!

• Premium Member
just wanted to drop a note saying i just got back from telecine for the Fishbone video in question - where i shot 5289 - and everything came out great. really nice contrast even with the slight overexposure - which helped with the grain a bit (did end up rating at 640 asa) - and the color really did resemble 5279 quite a bit, which i love. thanks to all for the helpful advice!

Glad it worked out so well. B)

The 5289 shared some of the technology used in 5279. Just as the Kodak VISION2 films share a similar "look".

i've wondered myself if they'd ever go ahead and release another really high speed stock, but with 5218's ability to push a stop and look even better than if shot normally (i think) giving you at least 800 asa to 1000 asa, i can't imagine the immediate need for it (what with the 18's tremendous latitude). now lets get that 5201 rolling....

• Premium Member
Is Kodak coming out with a Vision2 800t? Or is there not enough demand?

Seems like it would be nice to have a faster stock available for certain available light shoots.

Time will tell, I won't. ;)

Kodak continues to invest millions of dollars annually in developing new motion-picture films. More new color negative films are on the way.

The launches for Kodak VISION2 50D Color Negative Film 5201 begin next week --- I've been in our lab as they are shipping the demos worldwide.