Films that did NOT use a D.I

Landon D. Parks

• Premium Member

It needs to be said that the great majority of films released accross the world do NOT go through a DI. Since by 'wide' I suppose you mean big budget films released in the US, here are couple who come to mind:

- Batman Begins (Wally Pfister said that he didn't see the point of doing only a 2K DI for a film shot in anamorphic, since too much quality is lost)

- Phantom of the Opera (John Mathieson is not a big fan of DIs. He did do one for 'Kingdom of Heaven' though)

I am sure there are more, but I don't feel like breaking my head at the moment.

Some more:

Million Dollar Baby - Tom Stern - Panavision Anamorphic. One of the best looking films of the last year, in my opinion. It had a very sharp and clean image.

War of the Worlds - Janusz Kaminski - Academy Standard Flat (1.85:1). They didn't use a D.I. for the whole film, but there were lots of CGIs (which might be considered as a D.I. anyway).

Edited by Ignacio Aguilar

• Premium Member
Dimitrios,

I'm a huge fan of Theo Angelopoulos, although I was a little under-whelmed by "the weeping meadow". Have you ever worked with, or spoken to, him?

JK :ph34r:

No,

He has a really tight circle of friends and cooperatives, and he works with them since his first films.

George Arvanitis is his DoP.Are we out of topic here? Excuse us Landon.

Dimitrios Koukas