XL2 tripod/head?

Ty Ford

HI,

After a lot of looking I seem to be coming around to either a Sachtler DV 4 or DV 6. The 6 costs about $500 more, but would give me added weight bearing ability in case I want to add a teleprompter in the future.

Any thoughts?

Ty Ford

It depends what all you're going to demand from the tripod and head. If most of what you're doing is studio work, shot with a medium to wide angle, it should suit your needs. However...

My experience has shown that using the XL2 and its full zoom capability I had to go up to the DV12 to get truly steady shot with the 20x lens. Yes, that's an expensive system, but so was the XL2!

Hope this helps.

Jay

• Premium Member
HI,

After a lot of looking I seem to be coming around to either a Sachtler DV 4 or DV 6. The 6 costs about $500 more, but would give me added weight bearing ability in case I want to add a teleprompter in the future.

Any thoughts?

Ty Ford

The problem with the counter-weight balanced heads, is that they don't work as they supposed too, when u put a lighter camera on them.

Even first step, counterbalance position will work really ''heavy'' and add a lot of drag on the movement.

SO better don't buy something really outside your camera's weight, unless u want to do a shooting under really windy conditions with a telephoto.

Dimitrios Koukas

I have an VISION3 head and I'm quiet happy with it, you can cange the spring of the counterbalance so it is suitable for cameras from 2,5kg up to 10kg. just be sure of how much the camera in your usual setup weights and buy the apropriate spring (you get only one when buying, each spring extra costs about 50$). The head is very leightweight (75 bowl) and to me this is very important.

I have the 8kg spring as I use normaly the JVC DV GY700CL, when I use my Canon XL1 I just loosen a bit the screw of the spring ad it also works. I prefer this system to the sachtler and it is cheeper to.

daniel