Inconsistency between sekonic 508 and 608

Has anyone had problems with the 608?

A friend recently purchased a Sekonic 608. When testing it with a grey card he was concerned by the readings he was getting and so, this afternoon, we compared it to my 508. In incident light measurements they read exactly the same, but when measuring with the spot meter there is a 0.4 difference consistently, regardless of the object. We tested using a grey card (18%) and various other objects lit differently. We always got the same reading incident and always 0.4 more light on the spot reading from the 608. Does anyone have an idea as to why this is happening? Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks,

Daniel &Uri

The Spot element of the Sekonic meters need to be calibrated. I complained to Sekonic and they said spot meter readings are subjective. Sounds lie Bull s**t to me. Any way set up you gray card in a consistent lighting set up. Take an incident reading then point you spot meter at the gray card and take a reading then use the adjusting button to set the reflective reading matches the incident.

Has anyone had problems with the 608?

A friend recently purchased a Sekonic 608. When testing it with a grey card he was concerned by the readings he was getting and so, this afternoon, we compared it to my 508. In incident light measurements they read exactly the same, but when measuring with the spot meter there is a 0.4 difference consistently, regardless of the object. We tested using a grey card (18%) and various other objects lit differently. We always got the same reading incident and always 0.4 more light on the spot reading from the 608. Does anyone have an idea as to why this is happening? Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks,

Daniel &Uri

yes i hve a sekonic 608 and i have encountered the same problem.testing with a 18% gray card my meter showed 1 stop difference inincident and reflacted reading.i need suggestion how to match the incident and reflacted reading.please suggest.

3 Things -

- Getting exact readings on spot meters is difficult

- Is the lens on both the 608 and 508 clean

- And finally just stating the obvious but there is a way to offset the readings in the 608 - it shows as [ADJ] adjustment in the right hand side of the screen

thanks

Rolfe

The Spot element of the Sekonic meters need to be calibrated. I complained to Sekonic and they said spot meter readings are subjective. Sounds lie Bull s**t to me. Any way set up you gray card in a consistent lighting set up. Take an incident reading then point you spot meter at the gray card and take a reading then use the adjusting button to set the reflective reading matches the incident.

So spot meters are subjective, wonder so if you really need it, or either they should then give spot meter for free in the combo meter, with some colored pencils for you to explore your creativity!!! since it is so subjective!!!!

I have one 558'c, what Ive noticed, is that I have two friends that have 608¨s and they certainly have some discrepances with their spot meter calbrations, 558 and 508 models are like more exactly callibrated.

Thank you all for your help.

Obviously - opening the manual (to p.31), is all we had to do. It is possible to calibrate incident and spot seperately, which is what solves the problem. In the 608 it involves turning on the meter while holding down both ISO buttons (this is for calibration, not adj.). this option does not seem to exist in the 508, btw.

Thanks again.