16mm k40 expiry date

A.Oliver

Hi, having just recieved 15 rolls from kodak with an expiry date of march 2006 i am getting a little concerned that we may not have this stock around for much longer. Are there any users of 16mm k40, if so what is the expiry date on the box. The only k40 i have seen with a longer date is double super 8 which i think was 8/2006.

Andy

this post is now 5 days old and no replies, does no one shoot 16mm k40 or am i living in the past??

I believe k40 will be dead within 18months, does any one out there have any longer dated k40 than 3/2006??

You can see why kodak want rid of the film if there are so few shooters of the film out there.

• Premium Member

I actually contacted Kodak to see if they had any 16mm Kodachrome, they've been out of stock for a while now. And of course they're not making any more. I know Dwayne's still has it, that's where I just got 2 rolls.

I wouldn't worry too much about the date, just store properly and it should be fine for a few years past expiration. The stocks that seem most suseptable to issues would be higher speed negative stocks due to background radiation.

You'll be able to unload some on eBay if you want in a few years for a good price probably.

I actually contacted Kodak to see if they had any 16mm Kodachrome, they've been out of stock for a while now. And of course they're not making any more. I know Dwayne's still has it, that's where I just got 2 rolls.

I wouldn't worry too much about the date, just store properly and it should be fine for a few years past expiration. The stocks that seem most suseptable to issues would be higher speed negative stocks due to background radiation.

You'll be able to unload some on eBay if you want in a few years for a good price probably.

Its the processing of the film which concerns me, as and when the Swiss lab closes all we have is Dwanes

who will only process kodachrome as long as kodak sells kodachrome ( believe it says something like on Dwanes website)

Question for KODAK, when will the official annoucement be for the end of 16mm kodachrome???????????

• Premium Member
Its the processing of the film which concerns me, as and when the Swiss lab closes all we have is Dwanes

who will only process kodachrome as long as kodak sells kodachrome ( believe it says something like on Dwanes website)

Question for KODAK, when will the official annoucement be for the end of 16mm kodachrome???????????

I have not heard of any discontinuance for the 16mm product. It would be listed here:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newslett...=0.1.4.17&lc=en

• Premium Member
I have not heard of any discontinuance for the 16mm product. It would be listed here:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newslett...=0.1.4.17&lc=en

Sorry John, I know this is on a couple threads now... I will try to call again, but the very nice lady I spoke with said 16mm Kodachrome was no longer available; maybe she was confused with the Super 8, they probably don't get alot of requests on the stock hotline for Kodachrome.

• Premium Member
Sorry John, I know this is on a couple threads now... I will try to call again, but the very nice lady I spoke with said 16mm Kodachrome was no longer available; maybe she was confused with the Super 8, they probably don't get alot of requests on the stock hotline for Kodachrome.

The link I gave for the Product Change Notice Newsletter is where I learn about any changes too. It's the primary communication to dealers too.

• Premium Member
The link I gave for the Product Change Notice Newsletter is where I learn about any changes too. It's the primary communication to dealers too.

So is there a chance that the nice lady taking my order had it wrong? I shot some Kodachrome 16mm this weekend and would like to have a critical mass of 400ft or so before sending it off for processing. It can sit for a few weeks exposed but unprocessed right? I know all the Kodak info says get it done asap, but I can't believe it will make that much difference on such a low sensitivity stock...

• Premium Member
So is there a chance that the nice lady taking my order had it wrong? I shot some Kodachrome 16mm this weekend and would like to have a critical mass of 400ft or so before sending it off for processing. It can sit for a few weeks exposed but unprocessed right? I know all the Kodak info says get it done asap, but I can't believe it will make that much difference on such a low sensitivity stock...

What I mean is that I learn about changes in the product portfolio just like you can, from the published Product Change Notices. The people taking orders and monitoring inventory get access before us, because it's their job to know what is on the shelf.

KODACHROME film has excellent latent image keeping. But always a good idea to keep the film cool if you can't get it processed quickly. If you refrigerate, you need to seal the film to avoid condensation.