Storyboarding software programs and successful methods

yes, the success of such techniques is due primarily to the extensive storyboards, while the decades of experience of the directors, DPs and fight choreographers have little to do with it.

i don't mean to rag on you, but is this meant to be some kind of a joke? i guess sam raimi was "small time", up until he did spiderman?

if the purpose of your storyboards is primarily to impress someone, they better look like they were done by a professional storyboard artist, not like they came out of software. software is great for previz, but nothing gets the point across better than hand crafted storyboards by a skilled pro. the look of those software generated boards are distracting in my opinion.

but if the purpose of your storyboards is to communicate on set, then it doesn't matter what technique was used to generate them. but creating them in full-on 3D programs like maya, max or lightwave is a foolish waste of time. save those for previzzing complex action sequences.

Now where exactly did I say in their that success had nothing to do with the director's, DP or Cinematographers expirence? You do mean to rag on me you little bitch and it is't the first time you've done it. I said that storyboards were a good way to plan shots so you can do in-camera editing to save money on an ultra low budget film, as was done on some Chinese kung fu movies. I saw the process of incamera editing to save money in a documetary on IFC called Chop Suey Cinema. I have no idea what your reference to Raimi was about but it couldn't have anything to do with anything I've said it this thread. Raimi first got noticed with The Evil Dead which has nothing to do with anything I've said about storyboarding but I'm sure in your insecure, twiisted little pea brain you've made some kind of connection. I also didn't say storyboards were to impress people bitch, I said you could use them to help sell your project by showing potental investors or studios that you have a fully realised vision of the project. I know this because that's how two unknowns named The Wachowski Brothers sold the Matrix trilogy, with storyboards in the form of comic books as well as the afore Lord of the Rings Trilogy was sold by Jackson. If you don't have the cash to cover the thousands of dollars that a pro would charge to draw them and you can't draw, then going in with a storyboarding program to show investors is a completely viable option, again, much like you, it's a tool to show the potential of the project it doesn't have to be some masterpiece that will immediately have people throwing money at you as soon as the see it. Just because you find them distracting dosen't mean someone with money to invest would. He'd probably like to know how someone would spend that money if he gave it to them. And I also never advocated the use of full blown anamation programs to storyboard. Frameforge is a 3d program designed specifically for storyboarding so I guess there must be a market for 3d storyboards, but while working on anamation sequinces for my film recently, we used low poly objects to create moving storyboards so we could see if the timing was going to work, test camera and lighting setting and set object movement. So what you consider a "foolish waste of time" save us untold hours of anamation work and render times. You obviously don't know what in the F#*k your talking about!

Now where exactly did I say in their that success had nothing to do with the director's, DP or Cinematographers expirence? You do mean to rag on me you little bitch and it is't the first time you've done it. I said that storyboards were a good way to plan shots so you can do in-camera editing to save money on an ultra low budget film, as was done on some Chinese kung fu movies. I saw the process of incamera editing to save money in a documetary on IFC called Chop Suey Cinema. I have no idea what your reference to Raimi was about but it couldn't have anything to do with anything I've said it this thread. Raimi first got noticed with The Evil Dead which has nothing to do with anything I've said about storyboarding but I'm sure in your insecure, twiisted little pea brain you've made some kind of connection. I also didn't say storyboards were to impress people bitch, I said you could use them to help sell your project by showing potental investors or studios that you have a fully realised vision of the project. I know this because that's how two unknowns named The Wachowski Brothers sold the Matrix trilogy, with storyboards in the form of comic books as well as the afore Lord of the Rings Trilogy was sold by Jackson. If you don't have the cash to cover the thousands of dollars that a pro would charge to draw them and you can't draw, then going in with a storyboarding program to show investors is a completely viable option, again, much like you, it's a tool to show the potential of the project it doesn't have to be some masterpiece that will immediately have people throwing money at you as soon as the see it. Just because you find them distracting dosen't mean someone with money to invest would. He'd probably like to know how someone would spend that money if he gave it to them. And I also never advocated the use of full blown anamation programs to storyboard. Frameforge is a 3d program designed specifically for storyboarding so I guess there must be a market for 3d storyboards, but while working on anamation sequinces for my film recently, we used low poly objects to create moving storyboards so we could see if the timing was going to work, test camera and lighting setting and set object movement. So what you consider a "foolish waste of time" save us untold hours of anamation work and render times. You obviously don't know what in the F#*k your talking about!

you shouldn't assume that every single thing i say in a post is being directed to you.

thanks for the entertaining post. i sincerely hope its more colorful portions were a result of recent alcohol consumption or maybe coincodental spelling errors. otherwise some might consider it offensive.

i apologize to any other users if my tone seemed abrasive, especially the advice about pro-looking storyboards and using 3D apps... i sincerely didn't intend to come off as such.

... i sense the ghost of charlie seper ....

you shouldn't assume that every single thing i say in a post is being directed to you.

thanks for the entertaining post. i sincerely hope its more colorful portions were a result of recent alcohol consumption or maybe coincodental spelling errors. otherwise some might consider it offensive.

i apologize to any other users if my tone seemed abrasive, especially the advice about pro-looking storyboards and using 3D apps... i sincerely didn't intend to come off as such.

... i sense the ghost of charlie seper ....

It's a bit difficult to NOT assume every single thing you said was directed at me went you were QUOTING me. You know damn well your comments were directed specifically at me You just don't have the balls to say it. I don't mind a debate or discussion on the things I post but I draw the line at insult. At least you had the good grace to apalogize to the other readers. That is something, anyway

It's a bit difficult to NOT assume every single thing you said was directed at me went you were QUOTING me. You know damn well your comments were directed specifically at me You just don't have the balls to say it. I don't mind a debate or discussion on the things I post but I draw the line at insult. At least you had the good grace to apalogize to the other readers. That is something, anyway

well just to clear the air, the blatant mockery of your comments was specifically directed at you, while the rest were responses to general stuff discussed in this thread.

It doesn't look too bad. It's a 2d program. Storyboard Artist looks better, 3d. They have a free demo, if I were you I'd download it and try it. If cost is a big factor there are some 2d programs out there that are free. I can't remember the name of them but you could do a search. There's a learning curve but you'll save cash. Anything that will do the job will work.

The demo as far as I can tell is online pitch. Not one you can try out use for a few days to see if it works for you.

Of course, I could have missed the free demo section.

I saw a great exhibit of storyboards here in Paris many years ago. There were storyboards that ranged from Kurosawa's "Ran" (each panel a work of art) to Scorsese's "Taxi Driver" (drawings on a par with those of a 9 year old child).

As a cinematographer, I like storyboards but don't feel that they have to be sweated too much.

They are a reference and not etched in stone. Things are going to change on the set.

Sometimes people get nervous changing things when the boards are too good and this can seriously impede the evolution of the film.

well just to clear the air, the blatant mockery of your comments was specifically directed at you, while the rest were responses to general stuff discussed in this thread.

Congradulations, you managed to grow a pair all be they small. Again, if you want to debate issues, I'll be happy to argue my points reasonable, but if you want to waste bandwidth by decending into personal attacks also, again, BRING IT ON, I can burn with the best of them. If you don't like what I have to say, I would suggest you don't read my posts. Anything else is your own problem and not worth my time, but don't expect me to go away, A**hole, The few bozos like you that haunt the dark corners of this board are not going to keep me from gleening the valuable, infomative and insiprational exchanges that go on here, so either try and contribute something worth reading, or go take a flying leap off a tall building. Either one would be acceptable to me.

The demo as far as I can tell is online pitch. Not one you can try out use for a few days to see if it works for you.

Of course, I could have missed the free demo section.

I don't know I didn't download it, but even if it's just a sales pitch you would at lease be able to take a look at the interface and check out the features. It might help you to make an informed decision as to whether this is the program for you or you need to keep looking. Noone can tell you if this is going to be the program for you, that has to be your decision. I thinks it's still worth a look if your seriously thinking about buying it.

Interesting perspective, Dan, on storyboards that are TOO good looking. I never thought of it like that. That's pretty bad when a tool can actually interfere with the work.

Edited by Capt.Video

Congradulations, you managed to grow a pair all be they small. Again, if you want to debate issues, I'll be happy to argue my points reasonable, but if you want to waste bandwidth by decending into personal attacks also, again, BRING IT ON, I can burn with the best of them. If you don't like what I have to say, I would suggest you don't read my posts. Anything else is your own problem and not worth my time, but don't expect me to go away, A**hole, The few bozos like you that haunt the dark corners of this board are not going to keep me from gleening the valuable, infomative and insiprational exchanges that go on here, so either try and contribute something worth reading, or go take a flying leap off a tall building. Either one would be acceptable to me.

awesome! i now have internet argument testicles.

that last part of your post was so honorable and inspirational. in fact, i went back and read it again, this time with bette midler's "wind beneath my wings" playing on my stereo in the background.

i'd advise that when someone posts information contrary to your opinion or knowledge base, that you don't fly off the handle. that's my "worthy contribution" for this post. btw, your insults would be easier to read with more carraige returns.

see you in the next argument.

awesome! i now have internet argument testicles.

that last part of your post was so honorable and inspirational. in fact, i went back and read it again, this time with bette midler's "wind beneath my wings" playing on my stereo in the background.

i'd advise that when someone posts information contrary to your opinion or knowledge base, that you don't fly off the handle. that's my "worthy contribution" for this post. btw, your insults would be easier to read with more carraige returns.

see you in the next argument.

I bet you listen to Bette Midler all the time . Probably Cher and Judy Garland too That explains a lot. and I'll bet you even dress up like them on Friday night and go on out to Aunt Charlie's Lounge in S.F., all the while singing It's Raining Men and dreaming of the day when you won't have testicles at all. Well save your money, Princess and maybe in a little while you can get the operation and become the girl you've always wanted to be.

Edited by Capt.Video

• Premium Member
I bet you listen to Bette Midler all the time . Probably Cher and Judy Garland too That explains a lot. and I'll bet you even dress up like them on Friday night and go on out to Aunt Charlie's Lounge in S.F., all the while singing It's Raining Men and dreaming of the day when you won't have testicles at all. Well save your money, Princess and maybe in a little while you can get the operation and become the girl you've always wanted to be.

This last post only confirms my theory that people who post anonymously often feel the most free to say something unpleasant since there are no personal consequences.

This last post only confirms my theory that people who post anonymously often feel the most free to say something unpleasant since there are no personal consequences.

Hey, I didn't start this. If you go back and read the earlier posts, he admits to personal attacks on me commenting on posts that had nothing to do with him and were an attempt to contribute to this board, so I'd say that to his face If he were standing in front of me right now. In Fact nothing would give me greater pleasure at this moment. There's no need for personal attacks so he's reeped what he's sown. I do however regret that my comments upset you. I have a great deal of respect for you and your information has been useful and thought provoking. I may not always agree with everything you say but I HAVE NEVER felt the need to insult you in any way. This guy is another story. He hasn't just done this once. Look back at my posts and you will see a pattern of personal attacks and snotty rmarks. I am deeply sorry it offends you but that is something I will not stand for.

• Premium Member

Jaan's posts may have been argumentative and unfairly dismissive ("snotty"), but your responses were far more angry and uncivil, calling him a "bitch" a number of times. His responses therefore became increasingly cynical and harsh, but your idea of refuting him seemed to consist of finding ways of escalating the level of insults. Unless I'm missing some aspect of your sense of humor here -- maybe "bitch" is an affectionate moniker for you. I don't see the "honor" in finding ways of posting in a more ugly manner than your attacker. I mean, what do you think is going to happen when you pile that sort of language at someone? Will he say "oh, I see the logic of your argument now"? Or will the debate just keep devolving?

There are more clever ways of using language to make an argument that undercuts your opponent. Or if that fails, just stick to facts you can defend and leave it at that. If you really want to win an argument and increase your reputation and honor, then try and not sink to your opponent's level but stay above it.

Jaan posts may have been argumentative and unfairly dismissive ("snotty"), but your responses were far more angry and uncivil, calling him a "bitch" a number of times. His responses therefore became increasingly cynical and harsh, but your idea of refuting him seemed to consist of finding ways of escalating the level of insults. Unless I'm missing some aspect of your sense of humor here -- maybe "bitch" is an affectionate moniker for you. I don't see the "honor" in finding ways of posting in a more ugly manner than your attacker. I mean, what do you think is going to happen when you pile that sort of language at someone? Will he say "oh, I see the logic of your argument now"? Or will the debate just keep devolving?

There are more clever ways of using language to make an argument that undercuts your opponent. Or if that fails, just stick to facts you can defend and leave it at that. If you really want to win an argument and increase your reputation and honor, then try and not sink to your opponent's level but stay above it.

You know, David, You are absolutely right. I did go way too far and I apalogize for that. I should have been an adult and just let it go. I've just been under a bit of pressure lately and my temper is a little short. I will do my best to just blow it off the next time and not get upset. As you say there is no point in letting an unpleasent remake devolve into a verbal brawl and that was MY fault, it won't happen again. Thank you for your sound advice. Your a terrific guy.

Edited by Capt.Video

• Premium Member

I must admit that I'm just as guilty as anyone of escalating an argument, or taking things too personally, or feeling more slighted than I should, or not being more of an adult, or just being plain wrong.

My mother (who didn't always follow her own advice either) used to say to us arguing children that whoever stopped arguing first was the winner. Maybe that's a Japanese trait (being non-confrontational), or maybe that was just a way of tricking us kids to shut up, I don't know. But in a world where everyone always wants to get the last word in (like I seem to be trying to do here...), the hardest thing sometimes is to just make the best argument you can and then just move on, regardless of the replies.

I must admit that I'm just as guilty as anyone of escalating an argument, or taking things too personally, or feeling more slighted than I should, or not being more of an adult, or just being plain wrong.

My mother (who didn't always follow her own advice either) used to say to us arguing children that whoever stopped arguing first was the winner. Maybe that's a Japanese trait (being non-confrontational), or maybe that was just a way of tricking us kids to shut up, I don't know. But in a world where everyone always wants to get the last word in (like I seem to be trying to do here...), the hardest thing sometimes is to just make the best argument you can and then just move on, regardless of the replies.

Great story. I laughed while i was reading it. It sounds like something my mom would do and I'm not just saying that to get the last word in :D

• Premium Member

I personally think that storyboarding via the computer is slower than drawing them out.

You have to wait for computer to generate your scene,at times the software drags and is

slow to produce. Maybe though there are some good programs out there but expensive.

I have a friend,tv director and writer,his program almost always drags on that famous com-

puter,that directors rave about. Personally I'll take the the #2 pencil and a tablet(sketch pad).

I do digital photos at times as I can light the scene with Arri's etc. and use stand-ins. Can

print photos right on location and use for reference. Another problem with computer programs

is that you have reference keys to remember,if you don't use them a lot you tend to forget them.

Greg Gross

I personally think that storyboarding via the computer is slower than drawing them out.

You have to wait for computer to generate your scene,at times the software drags and is

slow to produce. Maybe though there are some good programs out there but expensive.

I have a friend,tv director and writer,his program almost always drags on that famous com-

puter,that directors rave about. Personally I'll take the the #2 pencil and a tablet(sketch pad).

I do digital photos at times as I can light the scene with Arri's etc. and use stand-ins. Can

print photos right on location and use for reference. Another problem with computer programs

is that you have reference keys to remember,if you don't use them a lot you tend to forget them.

Greg Gross

Valid points. I guess it really comes down to the individual as to what is "Best". I've even used dolls to storyboard as I mentioned earlier with good results, which is even faster than going to location with standins, but it's not nearly as accurate as your method. I think there is no wrong way to storyboard if it helps you to define your vision of the project and that's all storyboards are suppose to do.

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

Very interesting views on traditional art vs. digital art.......

Keep in mind, there is a time and place for everything. Digital has some perks and hand drawn art has some perks. Digital has many pain in the ass problems, and so does traditional. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Having said that, and in defense of my craft, traditional art will never ever die. It just transforms. Computers are only as talented as their operators. Therefore mastering storyboarding in the basic traditional since is imperative to using the computer to do it for you. If done correctly, it is just a fast if not faster than a computer rendering. The computer is just a tool, but will never teach you the basics of good solid storytelling.

In essence, it is like learning how to tell time on a digital watch and without analog clock hands. If the power goes off, you are screwed.....

Again, traditional will never die.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

I guess most that could be said about storyboarding software has been said, but I'll just say that I've got no attention span when I'm on the computer, and really have a hard time doing work on one when I can go on the internet at any time. I've found that writing and drawing stuff out by hand is a lot more productive for me. Nevertheless, I'm sure the storyboard software works great. It really boils down to what suits you best.. any storyboard is better than no storyboard!