How to Edit the footage...

Landon D. Parks

I have a question, What kind of computer is it gonna take to edit 100MBPS 720 24p or even 1080 24p footage from the HVX200 without computer locks ups, slow downs, freez's and all the other problem when a computer becomes overloaded?

Basicly, what kind of computer are we looking at to be able to smoothly edit the camera footage without computer problems?

My current Internet Computer will play 720p footage in WMV HD, but it sticks somewhat, and at 1080p, it wont even hardly move... Im wondering how to avoid this in a editing computer?

Thanks,

I have a question, What kind of computer is it gonna take to edit 100MBPS 720 24p or even 1080 24p footage from the HVX200 without computer locks ups, slow downs, freez's and all the other problem when a computer becomes overloaded?

Basicly, what kind of computer are we looking at to be able to smoothly edit the camera footage without computer problems?

My current Internet Computer will play 720p footage in WMV HD, but it sticks somewhat, and at 1080p, it wont even hardly move... Im wondering how to avoid this in a editing computer?

Thanks,

I think you'll find the answer to your question here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/hdedit/

Hope it helps.

Another question also... What programs will be able to edit the DVCPRO HD footage in native 24p mode? Can Vegas 6 handle it? I'm use to using Vegas, but a move to Avid Express is an option, maybe a mac running final cut pro hd...

And yet another one: Does the HVX200 offer Uncompressed output? Or is the 100mbps DVCPRO HD the max?

Edited by Landon D. Parks

• Premium Member

Thanks,

Final cut, mac G5 with RAID on.Some Tera bytes.

Dimitrios Koukas

Landon D. Parks:

Another question also... What programs will be able to edit the DVCPRO HD footage in native 24p mode? Can Vegas 6 handle it? I'm use to using Vegas, but a move to Avid Express is an option, maybe a mac running final cut pro hd...

Avid Xpress Pro HD, Canopus Edius HD, and FCP 5.0. Also coming on line will be the Matrox Axio.

And yet another one: Does the HVX200 offer Uncompressed output? Or is the 100mbps DVCPRO HD the max?

The uncompressed is component analog, and one of those nifty Ato D converters will get you a very clean HDSDI, if you have the Terabytes and Raid to record it.

Best,

Jan

• Premium Member

You could use Vegas, but it would be a lot of work. Because Vegas is codec agnostic (more or less) you could download the DV100 codec from Avid and edit DVCProHD .avi's. This workflow was recently documented on another forum. But, as you're aware, the P2 card does store readily accessible "raw" .avi's (for very good reasons) so you would need to de-mux the files first before getting to the .avi's. Or, simply choose an editing program that supports P2, like all the one's Jan mentioned, for example. There is also a workflow involving the Cineform intermediate codec for about $600.

If I've mispoken, please forgive me! I'm on a Mac!

Hope this helps.

Brian

Edited by Brian Wells