Super16 and SBM Bolex with RX prime lenses.

mauriciobolanos

I?m planning to shoot a feature with a blimped (S16 modified) Bolex SBM (reflex) & Tobin?s crystal motor. I want to use the brightest RX primes available. Switars 10, 16, 25, 50 & 70mm. I do not dare to use other brands because I can?t tell if they are RX equivalent or not.

I want to know which lenses really cover the S16 frame without limiting the aperture. Anybody has first hand experience shooting with RXs on S16?

Thanks,

i shot on the sbm with the 10mm, 16mm, 25mm RX (non preset), and the 75yvar end the poe zoom 16-100 (not modyfied for 16mm).

only the 10mm has a minimum of vignetting, but you can see it only on the neg, I would say that it is safe to use the lens for s16 (i have done it). I have heard anyhow that the preset-version of the 10mm works worse for super16 than the ordinary rx lens.

The zoom also does not cover the full super16 area in the widest range (worse than the 10mm), still it does easyly cover the safe area.

the 75mm yvar works fine (i have read that the rx lenses are only really relevant when the lens is shorter than the 50mm, my experience with the 75mm would confirm this )

daniel

• 3 weeks later...
i shot on the sbm with the 10mm, 16mm, 25mm RX (non preset), and the 75yvar end the poe zoom 16-100 (not modyfied for 16mm).

only the 10mm has a minimum of vignetting, but you can see it only on the neg, I would say that it is safe to use the lens for s16 (i have done it). I have heard anyhow that the preset-version of the 10mm works worse for super16 than the ordinary rx lens.

The zoom also does not cover the full super16 area in the widest range (worse than the 10mm), still it does easyly cover the safe area.

the 75mm yvar works fine (i have read that the rx lenses are only really relevant when the lens is shorter than the 50mm, my experience with the 75mm would confirm this )

daniel

I Think it depends a little on the conversion too. Any variance will show up at the edges of the 10mm. I had a super 16mm sbm and the 10mm shots looked bad.

Steven

I?m planning to shoot a feature with a blimped (S16 modified) Bolex SBM (reflex) & Tobin?s crystal motor. I want to use the brightest RX primes available. Switars 10, 16, 25, 50 & 70mm. I do not dare to use other brands because I can?t tell if they are RX equivalent or not.

I want to know which lenses really cover the S16 frame without limiting the aperture. Anybody has first hand experience shooting with RXs on S16?

The very rare (and difficult to find) Kern vario-Switar compact 17-85 F3.5 RX lens covers the super 16 area at all focals and meters. Very sharp even at full aperture. Incredible zoom for its size.

• 3 weeks later...
The very rare (and difficult to find) Kern vario-Switar compact 17-85 F3.5 RX lens covers the super 16 area at all focals and meters. Very sharp even at full aperture. Incredible zoom for its size.

I believe procam has them in stock for not too expensive.

Steven