missy elliot teary eyed music video

Austin Schmidt

Though I'm sure this effect has been done before, it was the first time I had seen it while watching the new Missy Elliot's "Teary Eyed" music video. I am referring to the shots (mostly the street night exterior of the car driving) where the image looks clean and then white smears run vertically from the frame originating from the hot spots and then disappear to a clean image again. It looks as though it is a miss-timed shutter effect however I didn't know it was possible to miss-time and then correct the shutter timing in the middle of the shot (almost like ramping speed or something). Maybe I'm way off and that is not how they did it, or perhaps it's a digital fx from post. Regardless, does anyone have any insight on how this was accomplished whether it was in-camera or a post?

Edited by A.Schmidt

• Premium Member
Though I'm sure this effect has been done before, it was the first time I had seen it while watching the new Missy Elliot's "Teary Eyed" music video. I am referring to the shots (mostly the street night exterior of the car driving) where the image looks clean and then white smears run vertically from the frame originating from the hot spots and then disappear to a clean image again. It looks as though it is a miss-timed shutter effect however I didn't know it was possible to miss-time and then correct the shutter timing in the middle of the shot (almost like ramping speed or something). Maybe I'm way off and that is not how they did it, or perhaps it's a digital fx from post. Regardless, does anyone have any insight on how this was accomplished whether it was in-camera or a post?

Sorry, I haven't seen that video, but for me this sounds like an old ccd camera's smear problem, it was very common and it needed no extra effort, as when the camera was pointing a bright source was doing this.

Dimitrios Koukas

Ive heard it was in camera and a simple switch of a device its also seen in the new TWISTA "Girl Tonite" video.

Sorry, I haven't seen that video, but for me this sounds like an old ccd camera's smear problem, it was very common and it needed no extra effort, as when the camera was pointing a bright source was doing this.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member

I haven't seen the video, but assuming it's shot on film then this effect is created by the camera's shutter being thrown out of phase with the film movement. The fact that the effect comes in and out mid-shot suggests that the shutter phase is controlled (not just mechanically set). I beleive the Panavision Millennium is one of the few cameras that allows you to control this electronically. Maybe a newer version of the Arri 435 or perhaps an Arricam can do it as well, I'm not sure.

• Premium Member

I'm sure you can do it somehow on the 435 probably. They've got tons of secret service menus that can run the shutter since it's motion controlled independently from the movement on that camera. Or they could have mistimed the shutter and then done a shutter angle ramp - i.e. creating no streaking when the shutter is closed down but reaching the mistimed section fully open.

Or. It could all have been done in post.... :blink:

• Premium Member

Is it this what u were talkin about?

Dimitrios Koukaspost-8298-1129211007.jpgpost-8298-1129211038.jpg

• Premium Member

No, these pictures obviously show a flare from a light just out of frame.

What he was talking about is that one desynchronizes the shutter from the pull down movement of the film, so that the film moves while the shutter is still partly open, making the highlights in the frame streak. I gather the first time this effect was used (on puropse that is) was on 'Full Metal Jacket' for the scene at the very end, when the sniper turns around to shoot Joker. There one can clearly see the streaking on the flames behind her.

• Premium Member
More like this:

report.jpg

Thank u Boone,

Yes that's an ansynchronised shuter.It just that I couldn't understand what excactly he wanted by his description, now is more clear.

By the way can I ask something? How can u make the images appear in the posts and not as a thumbnail?

Dimitrios Koukas

• 4 weeks later...