shooting with Color intermediate film

Guest Les Productions Deux Yeux

Hi,

I recently buy 8000' of 16mm kodak eastman color intermediate film 7243 and I want to know if it's possible to use this film in a camera. the major things is the sensitivity of the film I really don't know what is the ISO speed. with this information i will probably shoot with this film. so can anyone tell me the iso spped of intermediate film and if it can go in a camera?

thanks

• Premium Member
Hi,

I recently buy 8000' of 16mm kodak eastman color intermediate film 7243 and I want to know if it's possible to use this film in a camera. the major things is the sensitivity of the film I really don't know what is the ISO speed. with this information i will probably shoot with this film. so can anyone tell me the iso spped of intermediate film and if it can go in a camera?

thanks

I believe that you should do some tests, but try from 16 Asa and lower.I ve read in a recent post by mr Pytlak, that there is difference in the perforation size too.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member

The gamma of the film is near 1.0, much higher than color negative film. Also balanced for exposure from a tungsten printer light source printing through an orange-masked negative, so lots of yellow-orange filtration needed to even begin to get a neutral image. Also has narrow spectral sensitivity peaks, rather than the broader sensitivity of camera negative film.

For 35mm, BH-1866 perfs are available.

For 16mm, short pitch is normally available.

One question: WHY??? :rolleyes:

If it's 7243 then it is at least 13 years old. That stock was replaced by 7244 in the early 1990s, and 7244 was in turn replaced by 7242 a couple of years ago.

The development process is still the same (ECN2), and being a relatively slow and finegrained stock, it should have a much longer shelf-life than camera emulsions. All the same, a test (try around 5-8 EI) with some fairly heavy orange filtering (two 85s in daylight) would be the only way to start. It's not new filmstock!

If it's 7243 then it is at least 13 years old. That stock was replaced by 7244 in the early 1990s, and 7244 was in turn replaced by 7242 a couple of years ago.

The development process is still the same (ECN2), and being a relatively slow and finegrained stock, it should have a much longer shelf-life than camera emulsions. All the same, a test (try around 5-8 EI) with some fairly heavy orange filtering (two 85s in daylight) would be the only way to start. It's not new filmstock!

thanks for that informations. really helps me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I agree, using such old stock for leader would be the best use. It was NOT designed to be used as a camera film (much too high in contrast to be of much use in existing duplicating systems, "narrow" spectral sensitivities, very slow speed, balanced for printing using tungsten light with an orange masked negative original, etc.).

• 8 years later...

i also came accross 4000 feet of color exr 7244 kodak stock.it is a shame to let all that new film go to waste,,im willing to shoot with it also in my cp16r 16mm.kodak told me it is indeed around 5 EI and shoot in lots of day light with a 85 wratten or double the filter in camera.it is a very contrasty film when shot out of camera.so,alot of post proceesing will have to be done and maybe just go black and whte with it.maybe good for tersting to find out what best type of lighting,i would use bright day light and artificial lighting on subjects.needs lot of lighting.maybe it will come out ok and flat color in post to work with.ill post when im done testing this film in 1 weeks or so.

• 3 months later...

i also came accross 4000 feet of color exr 7244 kodak stock.it is a shame to let all that new film go to waste,,im willing to shoot with it also in my cp16r 16mm.kodak told me it is indeed around 5 EI and shoot in lots of day light with a 85 wratten or double the filter in camera.it is a very contrasty film when shot out of camera.so,alot of post proceesing will have to be done and maybe just go black and whte with it.maybe good for tersting to find out what best type of lighting,i would use bright day light and artificial lighting on subjects.needs lot of lighting.maybe it will come out ok and flat color in post to work with.ill post when im done testing this film in 1 weeks or so.

Did you ever get a chance to test it out? I'd be curious to see what it looks like...damn though that sounds the a prime canidate for photographing the sun or like the other poster said desert during daylight, no ND filters on a nice giant aperture lens like oh say a Vantage T1 :D

Edited by Nate Opgenorth