Krasnogorsk 3 vs Bolex h16

Mike Kaminski

Hello. First post here.

Im wanting to get into shooting my own film, mostly to experiment and learn techniques and maybe even to shoot some shorts with. Im planning on getting my own 16mm camera and I'm relatively new to the market, having shot almost exlusively on Arri SR2, which is out of my price range. Im on a pretty tight budget. So with a little reading and shopping, basically the two cameras that keep coming up, that seem to be both durable, cheap and high quality are the Krasnogorsk 3 and the Bolex h16. I've shot on the bolex, which would be good enough for me, but ive never used the Krasnogorsk, but the stuff ive seen from it looks just as good if not better than Bolex material. Both of these cameras i know are highly recommended, and i seem to be leaning towards the Krasnogorsk. However, someone once told me that they are no good, that the image is unstable and I might as well shoot DV24p yada yadda yadda.

Anyway, what is peoples opinions on the matter here? Is there a better option for me to go with?

(sorry about the NOObish question BTW)

• Premium Member

I wish there was a way for the K-3 to film without holding the button... like a Kodak K-100 where you flip a switch and it runs (until it winds down...). When on a tripod it would be nice to let it shoot without having to hold your finger on it constantly minimizing a chance of movement and for other applications when you can't always be holding it.

I wish there was a way for the K-3 to film without holding the button... like a Kodak K-100 where you flip a switch and it runs (until it winds down...). When on a tripod it would be nice to let it shoot without having to hold your finger on it constantly minimizing a chance of movement and for other applications when you can't always be holding it.

What about using the very robust Kras-3 cable release!

What about using the very robust Kras-3 cable release!

That's only for single-frame exposures (animation, timelapse, etc.), if I'm not mistaken.

I think the Tobin crystal motor has an on/off push-button, but that's quite a big step up.

-Bon

That's only for single-frame exposures (animation, timelapse, etc.), if I'm not mistaken.

I think the Tobin crystal motor has an on/off push-button, but that's quite a big step up.

-Bon

It is for single frame if you use the rear port. If you use the hole in the middle of the trigger, it's a trigger replacement and will allow you to run continuous runs until you run out of wind.

It is for single frame if you use the rear port. If you use the hole in the middle of the trigger, it's a trigger replacement and will allow you to run continuous runs until you run out of wind.

Well there you go! I would never have thought to try it, and don't recall reading about it in the manual. Cheers!

-Bon

the krasnagorsk is supercheap, while a bolex costs quiet a bit more.

with the bolex anyhow you can atach easyly an electric motordrive, so you can make longer shots, and you can use a 400ft mag (on the bolex rx5 and the bolex sbm wihich are the two most interesting modells) but this only with electric motor.

the krasnagorsk can easyly be converted to super16, especially the one with the M42 screwmount, because centering the lensmount is not strictly necessary, as photografik lenses will always cover super16mm.

I would say that the bolex is much more a serious camera, but the krasnagorsk is much cheaper and also much handyer.

daniel

the krasnagorsk is supercheap, while a bolex costs quiet a bit more.

with the bolex anyhow you can atach easyly an electric motordrive, so you can make longer shots, and you can use a 400ft mag (on the bolex rx5 and the bolex sbm wihich are the two most interesting modells) but this only with electric motor.

the krasnagorsk can easyly be converted to super16, especially the one with the M42 screwmount, because centering the lensmount is not strictly necessary, as photografik lenses will always cover super16mm.

I would say that the bolex is much more a serious camera, but the krasnagorsk is much cheaper and also much handyer.

daniel

Has anybody recentered the lens mount on the k3? Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to do

Edited by RobertNC

• Premium Member

Tried the release cable on the front button (never noticed that hole before!) and it worked while I pressed the cable release but wouldn't keep running if I let go.

It would just be nice for those shots when I don't want to hold the camera... just an "on/off" switch.

• Premium Member
Tried the release cable on the front button (never noticed that hole before!) and it worked while I pressed the cable release but wouldn't keep running if I let go.

It would just be nice for those shots when I don't want to hold the camera... just an "on/off" switch.

Must admit ot never seeing a K3 up close :( But if it takes a normal cable release, your locak Camera Store (do those even exist in this digital age?) may have a release with a little knurled screw, that can be tightened to hold the relase in. Used in Still camera for taking long time exposures. :D