Cinematographers-turned-directors

john michaelson

• Premium Member

Nicolas Roeg.

And let's not forget director-DP's, like Peter Hyams. Rare in the feature world, but much more common in commercials.

The TV world is full of DP's who step up to directing episodes of their own shows. Law and Order has consistently promoted from within the camera department. I believe Constantine Makris is even producing now.

• Premium Member
I've been looking for a comprehensive list (I know all the main ones) of cinematographers-turned-directors online. Does anyone know where I might find a list of this nature. Thanks.

Chris Menges.

DP of some of my favourite films like "Comfort and Joy" and "Local Hero" and also "The Killing Fields" and director of two very good films, "Criss- Cross" and "A World Apart". He actually directed 3 in a row. I didn't see the third but now he's gone back to shooting. Let someone else take responsibility for losing all that $$.

Steven Soderbergh shot as well as directed "Traffic",

Haskell Wexler directed "Medium Cool" aaaaand...

I can't think of any more.

• Premium Member

Feature Films:

Ernext Dickerson

Doug Liman

Jan De Bont

Barry Sonnenfeld

Zhang Yimou

A few more who directed a feature film, but kept on shooting:

Vilmos Zsigmond

Michael Chapman

Gordon Willis

William Fraker

Commercials/Spots:(literally dozens, but a few names that come to mind, and who have representation)

Joe Pytka

Lance Acord

Sam Bayer

Malik Sayeed

Keith Rose

Robert Richardson

Darius Khondji

Rodrigo Prieto

Janusz Kaminski

Many more working in Television, Cable, Mini-Series, but the only name I can think of is Frank Prinzi, ASC, who still shoots.

Thanks guys. Thats now a pretty comprehensive list. Since I started I may as throw in a few names. Gaspar Noe before Irreversible. Andrzej Sekula, he shot Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, American Psycho then turned to directing and I think back again. Andrzej Bartkowiak who shot Speed and Falling Down now directs (Romeo Must Die, Doom). How about steadicam-operators-turned-directors, Guy Bee anyone.

• Premium Member
Thanks guys. Thats now a pretty comprehensive list. Since I started I may as throw in a few names. Gaspar Noe before Irreversible. Andrzej Sekula, he shot Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, American Psycho then turned to directing and I think back again. Andrzej Bartkowiak who shot Speed and Falling Down now directs (Romeo Must Die, Doom). How about steadicam-operators-turned-directors, Guy Bee anyone.

I ve got another one,

Jan De Bont.''Speed'' with Sandra Bullock was his first one, and succeded well.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member

Mikael Salomon, ASC. Him I particularly miss from the DP world - he was a talent.

Guy Green, BSC

Freddie Francis, BSC

Unfortunately - most DP's-turned-directors don't have the same success in the directing

world as they did in the shooting world. Wonder why that is.

I don't have any desire to direct myself, although I sometimes toy wit the idea of directing/shooting a movie where visuals come first and where visuals would be the star. It would probably be an interesting failure:-)

• Premium Member
How about steadicam-operators-turned-directors, Guy Bee anyone.

Hmm, lets see.....Dave Chameides, Charles Papert, and Jeff Hunt come to mind. Guy Bee has been the most prolific so far. I know there are a few others but my mind is blank right now. Garrett Brown did some directing (commercials mostly) in the 80's. Jimmy Muro and Jonathan Brown (Garrett's son) have both moved on as D.P.'s and have done very well.

also Dean Semler directed a couple action duds like "firestorm" and andrzej bartowiak has made a bunch of higher-profile pics including the forthcoming "Doom" w/ the rock. and don't forget janusz kaminski's "lost souls" and christopher doyle's "away with words". or do. either way.

and soderbergh has shot a bunch of his own movies, including traffic, solaris, ocean's 11, ocean's 12, and full frontal.

• 8 months later...