Matte Boxes

Jon Rosenbloom

What are the different uses of the 6x6 matte box and the 4x5? Is there some difference in the usefulness of grad filters? (I guess w/ a 6x6 grad you can really bring the line way down into the frame.) If I can afford to rent only one 2 stage mattebox, and one set of filters, which size should it be, if my widest lense will be 18mm? Shooting spherical, 1.85:1. So far, I've asked for the 6x6.

Thanks,

J

Edited by J-Ro

• Premium Member
What are the different uses of the 6x6 matte box and the 4x5? Is there some difference in the usefulness of grad filters? (I guess w/ a 6x6 grad you can really bring the line way down into the frame.) If I can afford to rent only one 2 stage mattebox, and one set of filters, which size should it be, if my widest lense will be 18mm? Shooting spherical, 1.85:1. So far, I've asked for the 6x6.

Thanks,

J

6x6 is a good choice for this lenses,

One difference is that u need a filter to cover your lense.So if you have big diameter lenses you need bigger filters.

Another thing that u have pointed is that sometimes the lower side of a 4x4 grad may get in the frame, not that this is noticeable ...

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member

We had to get our 4x5 mattebox, anti-reflection filter holder, and 6 1/2" round Polas all shaved down in thickness in order to use them with all of our Primo anamorphic lenses without vignetting (and that barely works for the 35mm Primo anamorphic). But it's great to not have to use the 6x6 mattebox except for when I used grads.

Basically you'd want to rent both for a feature if possible. In general, it's better to stay small & light with the 4x5 mattebox and only use the 6x6 for when you need to use grads (because of the ability to raise and lower the grad.)

• Premium Member
Basically you'd want to rent both for a feature if possible. In general, it's better to stay small & light with the 4x5 mattebox and only use the 6x6 for when you need to use grads (because of the ability to raise and lower the grad.)

I agree here, that's the best option.

Dimitrios Koukas

Thanks David and Dimitrios and Max.

It's a student film, 22 pages. Arri includes the 4x5 matte-box in the basic package, but I don't think I can afford two sets of filters! There's going to be some day for dusk shooting, and I think I'll really need the grads for that (actually, I'm toying w/ the idea of nd.3 on the bottom and nd .6 up top, w/ a little sliver of clear space for the actors.). If I want to mix a grad w/ an ultra-con, then obviously the filters have to be the same size.

Do you not like the 6x6 because of its heft?

David, in your production notes you keep writing about shooting at a 2.8, but you're shooting anamorphic??

• Premium Member

>but I don't think I can afford two sets of filters!

It's only the grads you need to have in the large size.

If it's low budget, if the 4X4 covers your lenses, have a 4X4 mattebox, filter series in 4X4 for ultra-cons, nd, 85 etc, and have the grads only in 4X5.6. They will cover most of your needs, the 6X6 I consider is an "extra" option.

If you have a zoom or some lenses that are not covered with a 4X4, then you need a 6X6 Matte box and all the series in 6X6...

• Premium Member
We had to get our 4x5 mattebox, anti-reflection filter holder, and 6 1/2" round Polas all shaved down in thickness in order to use them with all of our Primo anamorphic lenses without vignetting (and that barely works for the 35mm Primo anamorphic).

Hello,

David,

How did you shaved them down?

Do u mean the metal ring?

Dimitrios Koukas