10 FPS smearing images how do I achieve it

Bob Hayes

Can I get the smeary blurry image of 10 FPS transferred at 10 FPS in Varicam. I shot one shot at 10 FPS 144 degree shutter (perhaps the mistake) the footage looked great on the monitor and the viewfinder. Perfectly blurred. Then I get Dailies back and the images are step framed no smearing. Darn! What do I do?

• Premium Member
Can I get the smeary blurry image of 10 FPS transferred at 10 FPS in Varicam. I shot one shot at 10 FPS 144 degree shutter (perhaps the mistake) the footage looked great on the monitor and the viewfinder. Perfectly blurred. Then I get Dailies back and the images are step framed no smearing. Darn! What do I do?

Bob,

Is there any possibility that someone tried to ''fixed'' it?

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member
I shot one shot at 10 FPS 144 degree shutter (perhaps the mistake) the footage looked great...

1/25th of a second shutter, right? (360/144=2.5x10=25)

Should be enough for a little motion blur, I would think, depending on the context.

Were they using the standalone FRC for framerate conversion? Just curious.

B

Unless you convert it to your editing timebase, i.e. 24fps, it will look "step framed." The viewfinder should have showed it to you this way as well though. So I am a little confused. If it was converted in telecine than it should look like a timelapse and maybe that is why the "smearing" or blur effect you are referring to is no longer that apparent.

When you are recording the viewfinder show's it to you in real time. it is actually showing you only 10 fps being recorded. When it is gone through the conversion process than it will be converted to the editing timebase and you will no longer see what you saw in the viewfinder. If you want the end result to be what you see in the finder than don't convert it.

Sense we are talking about Varicam here, does anyone have any experience with the AJ-HD1200A. I am having problems outputting to it via firewire with FCP. It has been a nightmare trying to get this deck to do what it is supposedly capable of doing. PLEASE HELP

• Premium Member

To achieve a blurred look at lower frame rates, turn the shutter off. This will give you the most blur. If you want the frame speed effect, it must be converted using a frame rate converter (mac/Panasonic/AJA/Blackmagic/ect)

1200a workflow:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/dvcpr...flow_balis.html

1200a menu set up:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/sal...AP_FCPHD45.html

A few hints:

Never capture to the internal drive which uses the OS. Never. Use a seperate drive for media (7200 rpm)

Always connect the 1200a to the rear firewire 400 connection. No other firewire devices can be connected.

If you are capturing to a firewire dirve, it must be connected to an entirely seperate fire wire card/bus.

If you capture offspeed footage via firewire, do not move the file until you have run it through the FRC. If you move the file, it will not convert.

Be sure the deck menu settings are complete before you boot FCP. Set the deck to remote.

FPC 5.0 works much better than 4.5 for DVCPRO HD. Upgrade. (Upgrade your OS before, though)

Be sure the deck is off when you connect the firw wire cable. If is is ON, you will most likely blow up the firewire card in the deck. $1200.00 fix.