Digital Front Projection

I am still shooting "Babel" with Alejandro González Iñárritu. I have a scene in a Night Club where I am looking for a kinetic lighting effect to compliement the laser display of the location. I remember attending a lighting show at the ASC where new lighting technologies were presented about a year ago. One company (which I don't remember) presented very bright digital projection of graphics and images for lighting FX. I think this could be interesting to use as front projection on the characters, where I could perhaps create strange patterns on them from the axis of the lens (or very close to it). Does anyone know which company develops this technology? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Rodrigo Prieto.

• Premium Member
I am still shooting "Babel" with Alejandro González Iñárritu. I have a scene in a Night Club where I am looking for a kinetic lighting effect to compliement the laser display of the location. I remember attending a lighting show at the ASC where new lighting technologies were presented about a year ago. One company (which I don't remember) presented very bright digital projection of graphics and images for lighting FX. I think this could be interesting to use as front projection on the characters, where I could perhaps create strange patterns on them from the axis of the lens (or very close to it). Does anyone know which company develops this technology? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Rodrigo Prieto.

Hi Rodrigo,

Is this what your referring to?

".......Compare Original Camera Negative to first

generation answer direct from the camera negative with the same negative scanned at 6k on

a Northlight Scanner and down rezed to 2k. Color correction of the digital files was done

on a Lustre (Colorfront) system and will be projected on a 2048 x 1080 pixel DLP

projector. Both Full Frame and Split Screen images will be presented.

Addtional information can be optained at the screenings.

Location: 6433 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, CA 90028-6203 (Old Pacific Theatre)

Phone: 323-463-3255

=======================================

American Society of Cinematographers and Digital Cinema Initiatives will

provide demonstrations of the StEM material at the USC/ETC Pacific theater

on Monday March 29 and Tuesday March 30.

This is one of the few times the film/digital comparison will EVER be

presented. We will have open times on both of these days for anyone that

wants to attend.

Monday 12noon, 2pm, and 4pm

Tuesday 9am, 11am, 2pm, and 4pm and a 7pm showing.

Please invite all interested parties. It is a great demonstration!

Reservations are not needed, just show up and see who is there with you!

Jerry Pierce for DCI/ASC Tech committee....."

Cheers Glenn.

Could try this also:

http://www.christiedigital.com/products/cp...000Overview.asp

• Premium Member

Hello,

Just a small advise, I ve worked with front projected lasers before, u have to flag out/cut all the light that falls on the scrim, and also don't use too much light behind it, it will ruin your effect.

Just a suggestion.

Dimitrios Koukas

Hi Rodrigo,

Is this what your referring to?

".......Compare Original Camera Negative to first

generation answer direct from the camera negative with the same negative scanned at 6k on

a Northlight Scanner and down rezed to 2k. Color correction of the digital files was done

on a Lustre (Colorfront) system and will be projected on a 2048 x 1080 pixel DLP

projector. Both Full Frame and Split Screen images will be presented.

Addtional information can be optained at the screenings.

Location: 6433 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, CA 90028-6203 (Old Pacific Theatre)

Phone: 323-463-3255

=======================================

American Society of Cinematographers and Digital Cinema Initiatives will

provide demonstrations of the StEM material at the USC/ETC Pacific theater

on Monday March 29 and Tuesday March 30.

This is one of the few times the film/digital comparison will EVER be

presented. We will have open times on both of these days for anyone that

wants to attend.

Monday 12noon, 2pm, and 4pm

Tuesday 9am, 11am, 2pm, and 4pm and a 7pm showing.

Please invite all interested parties. It is a great demonstration!

Reservations are not needed, just show up and see who is there with you!

Jerry Pierce for DCI/ASC Tech committee....."

Cheers Glenn.

Could try this also:

http://www.christiedigital.com/products/cp...000Overview.asp

Hi Glenn,

Actually, I am looking for a company that does computer graphics for projection for shows or events or things like that. They were showing it at the ASC as a tool for lighting, which I thought could be interesting for a dance scene in a club, projecting bizarre patterns and colors on the dancers. I thought that using front projection would eliminate shadows, and create the illusion of a "no source" lighting.

Rodrigo.

• Premium Member
Hi Glenn,

Actually, I am looking for a company that does computer graphics for projection for shows or events or things like that. They were showing it at the ASC as a tool for lighting, which I thought could be interesting for a dance scene in a club, projecting bizarre patterns and colors on the dancers. I thought that using front projection would eliminate shadows, and create the illusion of a "no source" lighting.

Rodrigo.

Sorry, my mistake. Ill keep looking. PS loved 21 Grams. Awesome.

Greetings Mr. Prieto!

There's a music video someone i know directed that used something like what you are describing where lots of moving text and images were projected brightly - i know the video was shot on s16mm, so it's definitely bright enough to expose film. here's a link to the video:

http://www.ryanrickett.com/reel/shewantsrevenge.htm

if its what you are looking for, i can definitely get you in touch with them or find out what they used.

Hope this helps!

Greetings Mr. Prieto!

There's a music video someone i know directed that used something like what you are describing where lots of moving text and images were projected brightly - i know the video was shot on s16mm, so it's definitely bright enough to expose film. here's a link to the video:

http://www.ryanrickett.com/reel/shewantsrevenge.htm

if its what you are looking for, i can definitely get you in touch with them or find out what they used.

Hope this helps!

Hi Joseph,

I watched the video, and I think it would be useful for me to talk to the DP who shot it. Although I am looking for something more kinetic (like pulsating graphics of electric "energy"), it is a good starting point. Anyone have more ideas on this?

Thanks!!!

Rodrigo.

Thanks!

Rodrigo Prieto.

Mr. Prieto, I live in Austin, Texas, home of High End Systems. perhaps this is what you remembered:

http://www.highend.com/products/digital_lighting/dl_2.asp

Edited by David Barrow

• Premium Member

I can second the High End comment. They are a great company to work with, who also have great products.

I remember working with their stuff when they were known as Light wave Research.

The DL2 is pretty nice. Very good output with the ability to project anything. The key to getting interesting, kinetic projections is simply generating interesting kinetic source material to project. There are many people who work as media designers in the concert business that create this type of content. A good reference is a magazine called ?Lighting Dimensions?. They cover mostly live event lighting, but generally projection always is mentioned.

Kevin Zanit