Music Videos

Guest Carlos S. Carmona

Guest Carlos S. Carmona

What cameras are being used in the production of today's music videos? I am leaning towards using the Panasonic Varicam, or Sony's F/900 3, both of course HD. I have the editing system that can do the post so I am safe there. Also, is it safe to use the consumer level Sony HD cameras, or even the Panasonic DVX 100?

Just to note, the music videos are of the rap genre, and the artists are going to try to get the videos aired on one of the several video channels (i.e. BET).

i'd say the vast majority of videos airing on most, if not all, music video channels are shot on 35mm or at the very least super 16mm. this is not to say that you shouldn't go with HD - the f900 is a great camera capable of a variety of interesting looks. i shoot primarily videos for a living and even though i'm usually on low-to-medium budget stuff, we still shoot primarily 35mm or s16mm.

in terms of the video in question, i'd say pick the format thats most appropriate. a lot of people have gotten good results with cheaper cameras on videos, i think a couple of the Beastie Boys videos off of their last record were shot on a dvx100a. so just pick the format that will give you the look you want, as opposed to what everyone else may or may not be doing.

hope this is helpful - post more specifics about the concept and we can help you a lot more.

• 1 month later...

You can use even MiniDV cameras if you want.

THe main idea of music videos is editing and interesting kind of shooting (strange lights, for example).

If you`re talking about rap videos, then you need to feel the genre. Uh, I can`t expain it with words... You`d better watch Jay Z "La La La" music video. Or 50 Cent "Candy Shop". I think they are ideal for rap music videos.