creating a light wall

Hello.

I will be a gaffer in a short film in super 16 mm next week, one of the scenes takes place in a large living room which has a big window in one side (it's about 10 X 10 ft), the d.o.p would like two burn this window but not too much, just to get a big light wall, he also want it to look like the diffusion I'm using is on or close to the window and not far away from it.

I can not use white diffusion on the windows because each side of the window is more than 4 ft and I wouldn't want to have lines on the windows (like when you put two white diff. next to each other you get a very small line of light) and also it's expansive and it's a low budget production.

I also thought about using a 12X12 ft silk 1/4 or 1/2 and put it behind the window - but now I'm worried about seeing what's in between the window and the silk frame.

p.s. I'm lighting it with a few baby 2k or blondies and maybe they will be bounced.

Do you have any suggestions for this scene, or maybe you know of a different material for getting this affect, maybe something cheaper and bigger then a 4 ft white diffusion.

I would appreciate your help

Mosh

Guest Jeff DiMambro

Well, if the window is burnt out enough you probably wont see overlaping lines of tracing paper or frost scotch tapped over the windows.

instead you could put a large piece of foamcore outside the window and shoot a little light in it and keep the glass free of any diffusion. This will white out what's outside but not burn the actual window per say. You could then use a mix of the bounced light and another source outside the window.

This would work best if the window is shot at an angle and not straight on so you could use a smaller piece of foamcore.

• Premium Member
Hello.

I will be a gaffer in a short film in super 16 mm next week, one of the scenes takes place in a large living room which has a big window in one side (it's about 10 X 10 ft), the d.o.p would like two burn this window but not too much, just to get a big light wall, he also want it to look like the diffusion I'm using is on or close to the window and not far away from it.

I can not use white diffusion on the windows because each side of the window is more than 4 ft and I wouldn't want to have lines on the windows (like when you put two white diff. next to each other you get a very small line of light) and also it's expansive and it's a low budget production.

I also thought about using a 12X12 ft silk 1/4 or 1/2 and put it behind the window - but now I'm worried about seeing what's in between the window and the silk frame.

p.s. I'm lighting it with a few baby 2k or blondies and maybe they will be bounced.

Do you have any suggestions for this scene, or maybe you know of a different material for getting this affect, maybe something cheaper and bigger then a 4 ft white diffusion.

Mosh

Hello,

If it's a low budget, u can use tracing paper instead of cine-diffusion, it will cost you much less. What time of the day you are shooting?

As for the big silk frame behind the window, if it will ever been seen or not has to do with the exposure.

U can burn out one window and it's background without putting anything on it sometimes.

Some details of plants or things near the window they will show up though.

Dimitrios Koukas

Guest Joseph Widner
Hello.

Mosh

I have had to recreate historical re-enactments and not be able to see anything 20th century in the windows. I used archetectural velum, it comes in 4 foot wide roles and works really well. It also diffuses the light coming in rather nicely.