Bargain Video tap for k3

Guest James Westbrook

Ok, check this out....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wireless-Video-Spy-C...1QQcmdZViewItem

If You could mount it on the end of say a k3 you could have a battery powered, lcd monitor, wireless video tap for under a 100 UKP

My question is....

The min focul distance is 30mm. So would that mean to focus on the ground glass eye peice in the k3, it would have to be further away and then it wouldn't work?? Could it be kinda corrected by the eye peice??

Thoughts on this would be great

Thanks

post-8972-1129290184.jpg

I thought about this too.. Using a spy camera, which are so cheap to buy Now ! But then I thought about focusing because of the closeness and Zooming.. Also attaching it.. And making sure no light gets through the eye piece and onto the Film..Will be interesting to see how you get on and other comments..

hi,

i have used this camera on my bolex, when I used it on a crane, it was possible to check somehow the frame, but the camera needs a lot of light, and you can not give it to it, because for a higher speed film you need to close your lens, and I already didn't see nearly anything with a 50ASA film in the camera.

Fokusing is not a problem, but anyhow I would say forget it, look for a faster mini camera.

daniel

Hi Daniel, u mean u have actually used the very same camera? But had light issues! Its good to know that the focusing isn't a problem - its a good start

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys let me know what u think of these!!!

f.1.9

k3-3-.jpg

f.8

k3-1-.jpg

f.22 dark but still useable..

k3-2-.jpg

Not brilliant quality - but great for framing etc..

Going to attatch the video out to a small 2" LCD monitor for use with tracking and glidecam!!

That camera was only £22 - bargain

Hi Stoop,

I have 4 of the exact same cameras but without a monitor receiver, but rather a wireless receiver with video out that i used to connect to monitors and mini dv camera.... anyways, i tried to focus this little lens on my Arriflex 16BL and couldnt get the job done well. Also, i had light issues... your stills dont look bad, but what is it like when you run the camera?

On the set i got real frustrated with the spy camera and i mounted it on top of the lens itself for the glidecam shot for i just couldnt get any vision through the eyepiece all of sudden. I sold 2 of my spy cameras and put the other two aroud the house, over looking the driveway.

As per recomendation of another forum member i got a Pulnxi TM-6EX camera. I am currently working on getting it attached onto the eyepiece and finding focus with the 16mm lens that is on it. It is BW but has varying shutter speeds and makes the picture look real clean when the camera is running. The camera has a C mount so i can interchange lenses easily, to find the one that bests fits me... still struggling in that department though for i dont have any Cmount lenses :D i am considering getting some Cmount extension tubes to help me...

You will fidn that wireless drops out every now and then too, and the moment might be a vital one... Pulnix has BNC video out so its all good.

Actually the camera I did end up buying is this one, not the one i originally said i would.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Colour-Vehicle-Rever...2QQcmdZViewItem

This camera unlike most spy camera's has a minimum illumintion of 2.0 lux. Most spy cameras are 3 or 4. So light isn't a problem.

Even with the shutter going, its not that bad. Its not wireless, but has video out so i can plug it staight into a tiny LCD. All for 25 pounds

I am really looking foward to running some vision 2 though it!!!

stoop

• 1 month later...
Guest clairstyler
Actually the camera I did end up buying is this one, not the one i originally said i would.

This camera unlike most spy camera's has a minimum illumintion of 2.0 lux. Most spy cameras are 3 or 4. So light isn't a problem.

Even with the shutter going, its not that bad. Its not wireless, but has video out so i can plug it staight into a tiny LCD. All for 25 pounds

I am really looking foward to running some vision 2 though it!!!

stoop

Have you solved the problem with the reversed image?

Guest clairstyler
Have you solved the problem with the reversed image???

What reversed image????

You said that you bought this mini-camera

Colour Vehicle Reversing Camera - UK STOCK - LOW PP

And in the auction description of the camera it says:

...and provides a REVERSED colour video image clearly showing the area immediately behind your vehicle (or trailer, Caravan etc) - the image you see is the same as if you were looking into your mirror.

And my qustion is then, how did you solve this problem?

Everything is to be reversed with this camera!

/greetings

John Eriksson

www.clairstyler.se

Edited by clairstyler

Bugger!

I just had another look at it and it is reversed. Hmmmm!! I have no idea why i didn't notice it before.

I will might put up with it being reversed, if its well framed - it will still be well framed when viewing the image "not reversed"

It was only 20 quid or something. Let me know if you find another spy cam with an illumination of 2.0 lux or lower, that isn't reversed and is under 50 pounds.

Thanks

Guest clairstyler
Bugger!

I just had another look at it and it is reversed. Hmmmm!! I have no idea why i didn't notice it before.

I will might put up with it being reversed, if its well framed - it will still be well framed when viewing the image "not reversed"

It was only 20 quid or something. Let me know if you find another spy cam with an illumination of 2.0 lux or lower, that isn't reversed and is under 50 pounds.

Thanks

maybe this http://cgi.ebay.com/BULLET-SIZE-Sharp-1-4-...1QQcmdZViewItem

* TV Color System: NTSC and PAL are available

* Sharp 1/4" CCD Color sensor

* Minimum Illumination: 1 Lux

* Max 400TV line

* Auto Iris connector (Video drive/ Direct drive)

* Electronic Shutter (1/50 to 1/10000S)

* Back light compensation (Auto adjust, auto switch)

* AGC (auto switch)

* 3.6mm manual lenses Included

* Voltage: 12V DC 100mA

* Output: Video (BNC)

* Size: 80mm

* Power consumption: 12V 100mA 1.2W

* Black or Siver Color (depend on stock)

What do you think of that camera? Would it work? There are some cheeper LCD-screens wich have a mirror function that you could use, the cheap brand DENVER

has a screen with this capability. Picture at: http://www.clasohlson.se/images/products/S...7-04_092709.jpg

/mvh

John E

clairstyler.se

Edited by clairstyler

• Premium Member

If you want a real bargain video tap, just duct tape a digital camera with movie capbilities to the camera, zoom it until it approximates the framing and put little shims under the camera until the angle is close and... BAMM!

Sure its not really a tap and not very useful for framing, but hey, you get the bonus of audio recording and with a little audio filtering with Soundtrack in the Final Cut Pro bundle, you can even remove the camera noise!

If you have a digital camera already, its free!

If you want a real bargain video tap, just duct tape a digital camera with movie capbilities to the camera, zoom it until it approximates the framing and put little shims under the camera until the angle is close and... BAMM!

Sure its not really a tap and not very useful for framing, but hey, you get the bonus of audio recording and with a little audio filtering with Soundtrack in the Final Cut Pro bundle, you can even remove the camera noise!

If you have a digital camera already, its free!

haha... I have actually thought of doing that if I were to get desperate... ;)

here is another one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Super-Mini-CCTV-Wi...1QQcmdZViewItem

it seems nice and small... though I dont know if I would buy from this seller. ;)

Guest clairstyler
Only 3 LUX lumination - not that good

http://cgi.ebay.com/BULLET-SIZE-Sharp-1-4-...1QQcmdZViewItem

I have asked this question to the seller, let´s see what he will answer..

Hi!

Can you shoot close macro with this camera? Iam thinking about putting it near the viewfiner of a krasnogorsk-3 16mm camera, like a video tapping/video assist. Do you think that the 3.6mm Lens will work on this application? Greetings John Eriksson logic@bredband.net www.clairstyler.se

Guest clairstyler
amazing $40 shipping cost for a toy that costs a max of $6 to ship anywhere

Yes I agree , maybe I should be asking him that instead.,