xl2 mic-line audio input?

daniel mahlknecht

• Premium Member
hi,

is it possible to swich the xlr audioinputs on the canon xl2 from mic to line?

i have rented a xl2 but there is no manual, and i can not use my sound devices premix mixer as it has only line outputs.

thanks

daniel

OK, according to the "worst-owners-manual-ever-written", open the audio door, switch audio one to "audio one". Switch audio two to "audio two", and get two XLR-to-RCA adapters and plug your audio (L & R channels) into the RCA ins behind the tape door. This is assuming you don't have the optional MA-300 which attaches to the hotshoe? Where else would you put it but the hotshoe?

I gotta say that whomever did the audio design for the XL-2 deserves his/her own special place in hell for taking something so simple and making it utterly incomprehensible. Good Job guys!!!

The above info could be wrong, ofcourse. I took it from the manual. Good luck

• Premium Member
is it possible to swich the xlr audioinputs on the canon xl2 from mic to line?

i have rented a xl2 but there is no manual, and i can not use my sound devices premix mixer as it has only line outputs.

Hi Daniel,

You can connect a XLR balanced -50db "pad" line-to-mic inline adapter to each of the cam's XLR mic inputs. This will convert a balanced line level source to balanced mic level source.

Shure and others make pads (Shure calls them "line adapters"):

http://shure.com/accessories/a15la.asp

I own 3 of their "Switchable Microphone Attenuators", which are variable pads. I find them useful for addressing a variety of audio issues.

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

• Premium Member
Hi Daniel,

You can connect a XLR balanced -50db "pad" line-to-mic inline adapter to each of the cam's XLR mic inputs. This will convert a balanced line level source to balanced mic level source.

Shure and others make pads (Shure calls them "line adapters"):

http://shure.com/accessories/a15la.asp

I own 3 of their "Switchable Microphone Attenuators", which are variable pads. I find them useful for addressing a variety of audio issues.

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

Aren't those pretty darn pricey?

• Premium Member
thank you a lot,

i couldn't belive that the audiofeatures on the xl2 were so bad, but unfortunately i have been prooven wrong.

Does it get any easier if you stick with only two inputs rather than trying to use both the onboard mike and external inputs at the same time?