Need Tube Video Camera

Frank DiBugnara

I'm shooting a commercial featuring a 70's game show spoof. The client is looking for an authentic 70's TV look. I'd like to propose we consider shooting with an actual tube video camera. Any idea where I can get a hold of one to rent?

In high school I used what was then an old tube camera which was probably manufactured in the early 80's. Something from that era or earlier would be perfect.

Please respond here or send me an email at frank@veritaspictures.com

Thanks for your help.

• Premium Member
I'm shooting a commercial featuring a 70's game show spoof. The client is looking for an authentic 70's TV look. I'd like to propose we consider shooting with an actual tube video camera. Any idea where I can get a hold of one to rent?

In high school I used what was then an old tube camera which was probably manufactured in the early 80's. Something from that era or earlier would be perfect.

Thanks for your help.

What you're looking for would be an RCA TK-76. The first video camera I ever shot with:

post-4994-1129553603.jpg

That's not me with the fro, but that is the building I started at in 1985 (always 10 year old equipment at CNN) on Wisconsin Ave. in Georgetown. Here's me operating the portable playback-deck:

post-4994-1129554793.jpg

Anyway, back to YOUR thing: try to get ahold of this guy:

http://www.oldradio.com/

or these guys:

http://www.labguysworld.com/

They'd know where they are and how you could get them. I think you might be disappointed with the results, though. They had a pretty good picture.. You may want to go even further back to get that old "Army-McCarthy Hearings" look. The ones with the three lenses on a turret in the front:

post-4994-1129555203.jpg

Good luck.

• Premium Member

Thanks for your help.

Does it have to be black and white?

Can't u just shoot with a SONY M3 tube camera? It's colour ok by u can take it out in post.

It sucks! so, I guess u will be fine with the results.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member
Does it have to be black and white?

Can't u just shoot with a SONY M3 tube camera? It's colour ok by u can take it out in post.

It sucks! so, I guess u will be fine with the results.

Dimitrios Koukas

You can probably readjust a 3 chip ENG camera via the menu settings(the ENG cameras from the 90's and earlier this decade). Soften the sharpness setting all the way, and increase the contrast settings or crush the black level a bit.

The Hitachi Z-one C was actually DESIGNED this way, the fu**ing morons.

A film option would be to shoot Kodachrome 40 film.

• Premium Member
You can probably readjust a 3 chip ENG camera via the menu settings(the ENG cameras from the 90's and earlier this decade). Soften the sharpness setting all the way, and increase the contrast settings or crush the black level a bit.

The Hitachi Z-one C was actually DESIGNED this way, the fu**ing morons.

A film option would be to shoot Kodachrome 40 film.

No u can't do this..CCD's don't have the ''comet'' effect of the old tubes.

I believe it will not represent it like this.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member
No u can't do this..CCD's don't have the ''comet'' effect of the old tubes.

I believe it will not represent it like this.

Dimitrios Koukas

Comet tails were kind of the cheesy aspect to tube cameras. It's a gimmick that in my opinion is not integral to giving a tube look. However, if one absolutely wants the comet tail, I agree a chip camera won't work. But I have seen a chip camera and a tube camera matched quite nicely.

I think the two cameras that were matched were an Ikegami HL-79 tube camera and a JVC KY-17B 3 chip camera.

What you really need is a TK-45 !

I've got no idea.... where any of these things are, got to be somewhere. You could plausibly fake it with any number of tube cameras really.

As for tubes = bad, not neccesarily. About 10 years ago I actually shot a job with an Ikegami HL-79EAL, brand new Plumbicons. Not as sensitive as today's chip cameras, but a smooth look.

Sharpness wise you might have to dumb that Ikegami down to match a DV camera :)

-Sam