Kodachrome 16mm

• Premium Member

Since Kodachrome Super 8 is disappearing, I thought I'd try 16mm Kodachrome with my K-3.

Only problem: my K-3 doesn't have a 85b filter and I'm wondering if I really need it since I'm never projecting the film... I always transfer and color correct with a good local Telecine shop.

Is it worth losing the sensitivity if I'm correcting the color anyway?

• Premium Member
Since Kodachrome Super 8 is disappearing, I thought I'd try 16mm Kodachrome with my K-3.

Only problem: my K-3 doesn't have a 85b filter and I'm wondering if I really need it since I'm never projecting the film... I always transfer and color correct with a good local Telecine shop.

Is it worth losing the sensitivity if I'm correcting the color anyway?

Since color reversal films have so much less latitude than color negative films, you should always match the film to the light source, unless you are wanting a different "look". Shooting tungsten balance K40 in daylight without the orange filter will give a very cold color balance, that will not be fully correctable. Even with color negative, optimum color is usually obtained by matching the film and light source.

• Premium Member

You need to use an 85 correction filter outdoors in daylight since K40 is tungsten-balanced for 3400K. Otherwise you'd end up with a blue-ish image that would be hard to correct in a telecine transfer since reversal has such limited latitude. If this is for direct projection, you definitely need to shoot in the color balance you want since there are no further correction steps.

The smaller color-correction filters are cheap; you can even get them used. I don't know what size your camera lens needs though.

I take that back, 77mm. Just ordered the $45 85 filter from B&H.
If you want to see what K40 looks like, shot with no filter and corrected in post check out this first half of my short Tempest Fugit . You'll see, it's very diferent than the traditional kodachrome look we are all used to.

BTW the rest was 7240 ektachrome, and the new Tri-X

If you want to see what K40 looks like, shot with no filter and corrected in post check out this first half of my short Tempest Fugit . You'll see, it's very diferent than the traditional kodachrome look we are all used to.

BTW the rest was 7240 ektachrome, and the new Tri-X

Are those the Kelso Dunes?