New Kodak VISION2 50D Color Negative Film 5201/7201

• Premium Member

The new 50D film is being launched today. Technical data and other information is on the Kodak website:

Press Release

Technical Data

Cinematographer Comments

Get true color, fine detail, and incredibly sharp images ? even in high contrast daylight.

KODAK VISION2 50D Color Negative Film 5201 / 7201 is a low-speed daylight film with an expansive dynamic range that delivers more detail in shadow areas ? even in high contrast situations. Advances in grain and sharpness ? found in all VISION2 Films ? make it ideal for recorder output and provide an ultra-clean, detailed image in any lighting condition.

Well, here's an example of the exposure data for those of you who can't get the link to work...

5201Data1.jpg

Specs:

Lens: 85 mm Zeiss Ultra Prime

Filter: Clear

Aperture: T5.6

Incident Light Levels Key = 800 fc

Color temperature = 5460K

Stop notations listed on the photo are reflected-light readings.

-Roderick

Guest jeremy edge
That is a mistake. I hope they fix it in the website. It is probably 1 stop over. :)

Maybe not, his face is slightly in shadow but his white T probably reflects much more of the light, you can see most of the area around the girl appears to be more in the light.

Could be wrong.

• Premium Member

Its always great when Kodak releases a new stock and this one looks great.

With grain so minimal on all the Vision2 stocks, in what situations would the 50D be better than the 250D? And wouldn't that advantage be barely noticable in the final image?

• Premium Member
That is a mistake. I hope they fix it in the website. It is probably 1 stop over. :)

Yes, it was a typo, that our webmaster will correct once he has a new graphic file generated. It is NOT -5.0 stops, but only -0.5 stops.

John,

does this mean that Kodak will soon be dumping exr 5245? i certainly hope not.... 5201 looks really nice, but for situations where you don't want a lot of latitude and where more saturated colors are apropriate the 5245 is always nice.

-Joe

• Premium Member
John,

does this mean that Kodak will soon be dumping exr 5245? i certainly hope not.... 5201 looks really nice, but for situations where you don't want a lot of latitude and where more saturated colors are apropriate the 5245 is always nice.

-Joe

No decision about 5245 that I'm aware of. It will likely depend on sustained sales volumes, and how well 5201 is accepted. As you know, 5279 is still available, nearly three years after 5218 was introduced.

• Premium Member
John: Are the MTF charts for 01 correct?

All the Kodak technical people who generated the data are "on the road" at the launches. When they return, I'm sure they will check to be sure the data was put up on the website correctly.

Remember, the primary goals of the VISION2 50D program were greatly improved granularity and the desired VISION2 "look". Sharpness improvement was not a primary goal. Finer grained emulsions are only one factor that can improve sharpness. Overall contrast, interimage effects, interlayer dyes, layer thickness and other factors also are involved. The 35mm demo and 16mm blow-ups I've seen show significant improvement in grain, but I felt sharpness was perceptually equivalent to 5245.

When interpreting the MTF curves, it is the area under the curve weighted by the acutance response of the human eye that really predicts perceived sharpness. Format and viewing distance are also part of the acutance equation. You can be misled by arbitrarily choosing a particular response or frequency to compare films.

Hi John,

I have shot tens of thousands of feet of 5245 and it's my number one stock. I look forward to trying 5201. 5245 beats the pants off of Fujis 64D. (Then again if Fuji gives me 50K feet of free film, then I just became their number one supporter.)

I will say though that the 250D is not my favorite stock by any means. I shot 1200 feet of it this year and it is way too noisy. Yes I know it's much faster than 5245 so that's to be expected, but I can't think of any applications where I would choose 250D. That stock is dead to me :)

Even in shade 5245 is still the best, you're simply working at F5.6 as opposed to F16 under full sun.

R,

• Premium Member
I will say though that the 250D is not my favorite stock by any means. I shot 1200 feet of it this year and it is way too noisy. Yes I know it's much faster than 5245 so that's to be expected, but I can't think of any applications where I would choose 250D. That stock is dead to me :)

Have you tried the Kodak VISION2 250D (5205)? Much lower grain than 5246. Sometimes you just need the extra speed in a daylight-balanced stock.

"Have you tried the Kodak VISION2 250D (5205)? Much lower grain than 5246. Sometimes you just need the extra speed in a daylight-balanced stock."

Ok I'll give it a shot, excuse the pun, can you send me five rolls pro bono?

R,

• Premium Member
"Have you tried the Kodak VISION2 250D (5205)? Much lower grain than 5246. Sometimes you just need the extra speed in a daylight-balanced stock."

Ok I'll give it a shot, excuse the pun, can you send me five rolls pro bono?

R,

Best way to get test film is to have your Kodak sales rep know you as a good customer.