New Short - The Confession...

MattC

Hi All,

I almost didn't post it because I feel I've learned so much more about the camera since I shot this (six months ago) but here it is...

I know I screwed up in a couple of places and the audio could have been better, but for most of this little ditty, I was the only crew. This isn't going anywhere it was simply done for my own learning and amusement and I don't think I could secure the music rights even if I wanted to. Just wanted to post it and see what you guys think.

Be warned, I also need to learn more about compression! This is 5 minutes long and is about 64meg...

Please right click and save as:

http://www.birthofthecool.com/Movies/theconfession.mov

Comments are of course, not only welcome, but mandatory..

Matt

Well edited, well shot for the most part.

The set up was incredibly long and the payoff was not only predictable, but a little on the *yawn* side of the spectrum.

You could reduce the setup by eliminating the shower scene entirely. The working out shot was a great intro of the character, but you could have skipped right to the making dinner and shortened the dinner preparations. After all, the real point of the idea is his "confession". The confession itself runs a bit long and comes off a bit wooden. It also gives the audience plenty of time to figure out what's going to happen. Of course, the fact that the dummy's hair is clearly synthetic doesn't help.

Anyhow, for a project that you just wanted to "learn" with, good job.

Nicely shot. The light on the guy as he brushes his teeth is a good simulation of a skylight. The warm light at the breakfast table is a little less convincing. Excellent job lighting the guy at the dinner table. I liked how you left a little detail in the bg, but let the left side fall off to black.

Regarding the story; it's really pretty trite. And because so much time is spent in the one sided dialogue, the ending is given away far too early. Although I liked both beginning and ending title shots, the opening dolly shot had little to do with the story. For that matter, what did the character intro (workout/shower/teeth) tell us about the protag? They didn't seem to personalize the guy. Each scene needs to say something: the first few didn't. On the other hand, the closing title shot worked great!

So overall I'd say that this was a very well done cine project.

Keep shooting.