Help?

Guest RubyLemon

Guest RubyLemon

Please forgive my silly questions but I am not totally understanding what I'm reading. So what is the difference between ENG camcorders and the whole PAL Professional camcorders and systems?????

• Premium Member
Please forgive my silly questions but I am not totally understanding what I'm reading. So what is the difference between ENG camcorders and the whole PAL Professional camcorders and systems?????

ENG: Electronic News Gathering.Also Pal or Ntsc camcorders.AND also PRO camcorders.

Now there are some companies that claim to have prosumer cameras, but it's all about the format you are using and the signal proccessing (bits).

Example if you use one D35 Sony camera with a beta SP recorder hooked, then u do have an ENG camera, but with the low to this days quality of BetacamSP.

In the same camera u can hook a digital betacam camcorder so u have a Beta SX ENG camera.

And because your question is very general, I would have to answer in general and not get to so much details.

The basic differences are that most of ENG cameras are called Pro cameras too, cause there are for TV field news production that doesn't have the quality needs as a feature film or a TV drama.

So that's why many Sony cameras are using the P (pro) in the product code and some others are using the B (broadcast) code.

NTSC has a differential phase distortion problem, wich was corrected by the PAL system later on.

PAL counteracts any phase error wich may present on one line by introducing an equal and opposite error on the next line.This errors are canceled electrically by an averaging process in a delay-line matrix,before beeing demodulated and used to write colours into the display with great accuracy.

Anyway,

PAL analogue picture transmission, contains 432 active lines.(This is what you finally get on your tv when broadcasted), That's because of the physical characteristics of the transmition Bandwith that carries the colour,brightness, sound and sub- carrier in it's signal.

So in terms of shooting, most of the cameras that are in the market now, overqualify for broadcasting.

But there are some lists in this forums that comparing quality in terms of lines and signal proccesing (bits).

Some cameras now (panasonic Varicam) with 1280 x 720 CCDs and many more, have gone beyond all this standards , it's just that the media itself (TV), is still behind in terms of Broadcasting such signals.

Physical differences between ENG and prosumer cameras, sometimes is that u cannot change lenses or have a follow focus attached and so on.

I can understand your confusion, There are hundreds of new products that claim to be Pro, and not all of them are so (PRO) as they claim to be.

If you have specific types of cameras that you want me to help you compare, I will do,

Please forgive me of beeing too general here, there are so many cases of different proccesses in signal and formats that would have taken me a day to explain.

Dimitrios Koukas