Arri S Serial Numbers

Alex Corn

That I have not seen, I definitely dont have a camera like that here. Also, in that pic, what kind of diopter is that? Is that a zeiss, because if so, I have a few cameras with another type of non-removable diopter that looks nothing like that. The deeper i get with these arris, the more and more varieties I discover. I really wish they had a book on the history of the S too.

• Premium Member
That I have not seen, I definitely dont have a camera like that here. Also, in that pic, what kind of diopter is that? Is that a zeiss, because if so, I have a few cameras with another type of non-removable diopter that looks nothing like that. The deeper i get with these arris, the more and more varieties I discover. I really wish they had a book on the history of the S too.

I was told that is the Zeiss viewfinder, so I assume the diopter is Zeiss as well, not sure. I saw a couple with that type of viewfinder tube on eBay in the last six months, but that is the only flat door camera I have ever seen, aside from the illustrations in the 1957 owner's manual.

-Tim Carroll

I had #114, at least that was the number in the little circle on the inside of the door. Then it got stolen and now, I don't know where it is. It probably went to good use as a doorstop somewhere in Georgia. :rolleyes: I like to think it somehow ended up at NYU or some place that deserves it, rather than in the hands of an incompetent thief...one can only dream....

Ditto on the history book, that would be really cool.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Here's one that will throw you. Being auctioned right now on eBay and the owner is claiming it is an S/B. It does have the Zeiss 10-100 T3 lens on it, which I have always seen with a bayonet mount, so maybe someone retrofitted an S/B turret on an old S model. This has the same back as my 1957 S and the same inner sprockets as well. See pics below:

56_1.JPG

eb_1.JPG

-Tim