Highlander - The Source

Steve Shaw

Thought you might like to know that 'Highlander - The Source' has just started shooting in Lithuania with Viper Cameras provided by MotionFX.

This follows 'Silenec Becomes You', shot by MotionFX earlier in the year - which some of you may have seen at the recent technology screening, VUE theatre Leicester Square.

There are 4 Viper cameras being used in Filmstream mode, recording to S.two DFRs.

The output from the cameras are being monitered via Digital Praxis LUTs, which are also being used for dailies deliverables for the offline. These LUTs provide balenced images under daylight/tungsten conditions, while the raw data is captured unaffected.

Digtal Cinematography is starting be a serious motion picture technology, with Fincer shooting Zodiac the same way. Others are also using the technology, but not in Filmstream mode for some reason.

Steve

Steve Shaw

Digital Praxis

www.digitalpraxis.net

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
I believe Michael Mann is shooting "Miami Vice" completely with Vipers unlike "Collateral" which was half and half.

Actually, judging from the trailers, it's the other way around. The night scenes are being shot on the Viper but there are a lot of day scenes shot on film, at least it looks that way. "Collateral" on the other hand, had a lot more night exterior work shot on HD.

I could be wrong, but if so, the day footage in "Miami Vice" is much higher in quality than the night scenes, more of a visible mismatch than was present in "Collateral" between the HD and 35mm footage.

Actually, judging from the trailers, it's the other way around. The night scenes are being shot on the Viper but there are a lot of day scenes shot on film, at least it looks that way. "Collateral" on the other hand, had a lot more night exterior work shot on HD.

I could be wrong, but if so, the day footage in "Miami Vice" is much higher in quality than the night scenes, more of a visible mismatch than was present in "Collateral" between the HD and 35mm footage.

Very interesting. I was curious if Mann would mix-n-match again. The IMDB technical specs list it as:

Camera:

Thomson VIPER FilmStream Camera

Film negative format (mm/video inches):

Digital

Printed film format:

35 mm

But, then again, IMDB has been known to be wrong in the past.