What super 8 should I use?

Brian Rose

I'm going to be shooting some color super 8 at a cross country meet this saturday, and I'm not sure what to use, since I've only shot BW before. I'd like to try some color neg. What do you all think of Vis2 200T, in terms of grain structure, reproduction and saturation? I know kodachrome is being discontinued, but does Kodak still have film in stock?

Best,

BR

Thankfully, K40 is behind us. Unless you were looking to make the cross country meet look like it took place in 1978, that is.

Seeing as you're shooting outside, you could certainly give V2 200T a try. Hell, even over-expose it a full stop like the Kodak rep says is not problem with this revolutionary new technology for negatives and make it behave like 100 asa. Or you could also try the 64t. Nice colours from what I've seen in web examples. A nice touch of beautiful film grain in there. Could be great.

Why not go to the Kodak website for super 8 and have a look to see what they've got? It's happy days for super 8, that's for damn sure! Five great stocks and every one of them a winner!

http://wwwuk.kodak.com/US/en/motion/s8mm/i...=0.1.4.14&lc=en

Edited by santo

• Premium Member

Warning, diminished capacity alert.

Thankfully, K40 is behind us. Unless you were looking to make the cross country meet look like it took place in 1978, that is.

Ok, now back to reality...

If you anticipate it will be a blue sky kind of day for the meet, you will be quite pleased with what Kodachrome 40 will deliver. After Kodachrome 40, probably the 200 would be the next best choice as long as you plan on transfering your footage to video. Ideally, the 50 daylight negative would probably be the best choice, but Kodak does not sell that in Super-8 at the moment, you'll need to go to Pro-8mm to get it.

Treat yourself to some k40 before its all gone, you many never get another chance to make a 2005 movie look like 1978 again!!!!!!!!!!!

Alessandro, do you shoot super 8 or 16mm k40?. I find super 8 k40 for some reason gives better colour saturation compared to 16mm k40, i know it sounds stupid, the only thing i can put it down to is the lenses?

wish to comment anyone????

• Premium Member
Treat yourself to some k40 before its all gone, you many never get another chance to make a 2005 movie look like 1978 again!!!!!!!!!!!

Alessandro, do you shoot super 8 or 16mm k40?. I find super 8 k40 for some reason gives better colour saturation compared to 16mm k40, i know it sounds stupid, the only thing i can put it down to is the lenses?

wish to comment anyone????

Apparently it is a different formulation and that is why Super-8 Kodachrome 40 is being discontinued but Kodachrome 40 16mm is not.

I am a bit curious as to whether Kodak may have played with the Super-8 K-40 forumulation over the years, perhaps lessening the silver content???? I don't mean to start a wild rumour, but I know the Kodachrome of the late 80's and early 90's was definitely a spectacular stock.

I'm less sure of the newest Kodachrome, I mean it seems to still looks pretty good overall, but something about it feels slightly different. I do have a shot of the newer Kodachrome in my "Goodbye Kodachrome film" that I recently finished, and the shot looks pretty good, (I shot it with my pin registered Super-8 camera) it just seems like the grain content is slightly more than I remember from earlier times.

I have a chronology of Kodachrome that I have shot from the late 80's through the present, I will be transferring it all year by year on a rank cintel system. Perhaps I'll suddenly notice a difference at some point in time, but it's a big project as I have over a hundred 50 footers to transfer.

Over time, the processing migrated from Kodak Hollywood, to Palo Alto, to Texas, and then to Dwaynes.

I am keeping the film separated by year and who processed it and maybe that will clue me in as to if there has been a significant change or not.

But I would think that shooting a Cross Country meet is one of those ideal types of shoots for Kodachrome 40, Lots of greenery which the auto exposure meter usually handles well.

• Premium Member
Me too!

I have never heard of a pin registered super8 camera. Is this for real?

Richard

Yes, Visual Instrumentation company made approximately 110 of them over approximately 15-20 year span.

Apparently Nike used one in the 70's to study how the foot landed. The camera does 10 frames up to 300 frames per second, but anything over 250 is considered a risk.

• Premium Member
No it isn't.

So Alex, have you a spare?

Mark

The second one I have needs to be serviced and I kind of promised it to Visual Instrumentation for their "Museum". My hope was to parlay the second camera into providing access to a possible "list" of people they sold the original cameras to.

I wonder where all the original cameras all ended up, allegedly, one ended up one on eBay a couple of years ago. They don't seem to have orientable viewfinders which is incredibly important when trying to track an object at 250 frames per second. Every moments delay in tracking an object can translate into several seconds of delay at normal playback speed.

I heard it was, someone commented about how using the andec pressure plate might cause a clanging sound when the registration pin went in. *shrug* Front-registration isn't the best anyways.

I'm only going on other peoples descriptions but the way I understand it it is like a little spring loaded ratchet that prevents the film shifting backwards once the pressure of the pulldown is released- neat idea but not what you'd normally call a register pin.

Mark

• Premium Member
Apparently it is a different formulation and that is why Super-8 Kodachrome 40 is being discontinued but Kodachrome 40 16mm is not.

Hate to brake it to you, but Kodachrome 16mm is discontinued also... but there's more floating out there than Super 8. Call Kodak and try to order some direct...

Hate to brake it to you, but Kodachrome 16mm is discontinued also... but there's more floating out there than Super 8. Call Kodak and try to order some direct...

Will, i have heard that all the kodachrome that will ever be has been made, Kodak are just using up a stock pile. K25 sold out first as it was the better product, we're just left the dreggs at the bottom of the barrel ( k40). Have a feeling kodak will make an official announcement next year about the discontinuance

of 16mm k40, for a Dec 2007 shutdown of the Swiss lab. Time will tell. Ordered today for a tomorrow delivery of 10 rolls of 16mm k40, be interested to see the expiry date on the box, previous 15 i ordered a couple of weeks back exp 3/2006. There was a time when you had around two years before the exp date ended on fresh stock. When k40 goes I just hope kodak will bring out a higher resolving daylite reversal film than the current 100d circuschrome.